Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

#LoveisLove: Stay Strong, Fight the Fight

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Safe to say this week brought us the most appalling news of recent times. I am saddened, disgusted but I’m also sat here typing this in disbelief. Disbelief that people have these warped views, disbelief that 50 people have lost their lives, disbelief that hate crimes like this exist in 2016, disbelief that America are still not tackling gun crime.

This should not be happening. Period.

I am not a member of the LGBT+ community, I can scarcely begin to imagine what it is like to be a target of such violence and hate. In the same wave, I can scarcely imagine what it is like to possess such prejudice, hate and homophobia.

I still struggle to fathom where these warped views come from. I’d also like to take the time to point out that this is not a direct result of the Islamic faith, this is an extremist, yet again the minority of that religion is being used to represent the majority. I walk to the train station near me regularly and on the way I pass an Islamic Centre. The top of the building there is a statement: ‘Man is either your brother in faith or your equal in humanity‘. This could not be more true. Just because you do not share the same beliefs as other does not been you are hierarchy or indeed below them. We all share this planet. We are all human. We are all entitled to human rights and to love whoever we want to love.

Why are we denying people from the simple right of loving? Sexual orientation does not define a person. Not only that, but frankly it’s nobody’s business but yours who you love. The fact people still have to explain that being gay is not a choice, the fact you even have to justify it by saying ‘this wasn’t my choice’ is completely and utterly ridiculous. There is no need for justification. You are who you are and if others cannot accept that that is their problem.

I write that like it is that easy; like coming out is the easiest thing in the world. Like everyone is accepted. I know that it isn’t that simple. Of course I cannot relate on any level to what that is like. I didn’t have to go to my parents and be like ‘Guys, I’m straight’. Personally, I don’t even like the concept of ‘coming out’ I don’t feel like it’s something people should have to do. If there is one thing I want for my children and even for my friends is for them to just be able to say ‘hey, this is my girlfriend/boyfriend’. I wouldn’t bat an eyelid. If they’re happy, I’m happy. But I know it’s naïve of me to think it is that simple, that people’s values will reflect my own and that everybody is accepting. One day.

People think that because they aren’t homophobic and because we have Pride and because gay marriage is now legal that the fight is over. It’s so untrue. We still live in a world where gender constraints are thrust upon all of us, if you think its hard because of your gender, I can guarantee it’s harder if you’re LGBT+. I don’t want people to be worried about displaying affection towards their partner because they don’t know how members of the public will feel. I don’t want people to continue to sexualise lesbians. I don’t want trans people to worry about what bathroom they should go in. I don’t want people to have to have extensive therapy in order to justify who they are. I don’t want people to be scared.

I have never been more thankful to live in England. I can’t begin to imagine what it’s like to be an LGBT+ kid in America at the moment, the fear you must be feeling. How it must have felt to see the aftermath, to hear mobile phones ringing; loved ones desperately trying to find out if their nearest were ok. What will it take for America to realise their gun laws are out of control. There were 372 mass shootings in the US in 2015. There have been 133 mass shooting in the US in 2016 alone. This was the 15th mass shooting in Florida this year, and the fourth in Orlando. In the US there have been 76 days with mass shootings and 89 without. Things have to change. This man, this monster, could carry his murder weapon legally. He entered a safe space for the LGBT community with a murder weapon, legally.

I am not writing this because I think I can understand an ounce of what people have to go through, because I can’t. I’m writing this because people’s values need to change. People from all walks of life have to get involved in this fight.

This event didn’t end with the death of the victims or the death of the killer. Taking to twitter last night the disgusting, vile **** coming from some people was extremely hard to read.

Brandon Carney attends Clay High School in Florida following the event he tweeted:

His contact information was circulated and his school has been contacted. It’s doubtful Brandon will have a great 2017 graduation. Again though, this is a young man, we are probably of a similar age. Where have these views stemmed from? It’s not LGBT+ people who need therapy, it’s you.

To those homophobic ***** who we have to share a planet with, I want you to wake up. Wake the **** up. Who are you to pass judgement on anyone? I do not care what your religious beliefs are, what your sexual preferences are, how old you are, what your previous life experiences have been – being a homophobe is as bad as being a racist. This issue is real, it is present and you are disgusting. I don’t want to share a race with you, an age with you, a religion with you, a class with you: I don’t want to share a planet with you.

To those bringing up children, start now. Inhabit good values, do not allow homophobia, racism, sexism or any form of prejudice to form part of their life.

To my friends in the LGBT community, I love you. Stay strong.

He should have put #banter on the end of his tweet, it's not his fault people get #offended

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    He should have put #banter on the end of his tweet, it's not his fault people get #offended
    Not really something to be having banter about. Banter has to be funny.. This isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    I can usually find the humour in most situations, but yes this is too soon, and the people to whom this is aimed can't even retaliate because their lives have been stolen, sorry if that gets in the way of a 'good joke'
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.