The Student Room Group

got UKCAT, got offers, just finished my alevels

so i am waiting on results,

my question is if i dont make my offers, what happens then?

not in terms of life coaching or any tips on where my local jobcentre is, but what do you do: phone the uni explain your situation?

anyone got any help or been in similar boat...
how close have people came and still got in, at the 06 open day, the lady said she just missed grades, phoned up the admissions team and was still allowed in: how come? how could she be allowed to get in, even if others make the grades and she didnt: or maybe missed it by narrow fraction...is it based on the interview details?

thanks everybody
Reply 1
whatever comes up in this thread, please people dont dismay, just trying to get some ideas
Reply 2
Yeah I want to know this too!
Reply 3
As I understand it...

UCAS now send out their final acceptance letters to arrive on results day. If you get that and it says "Accepted" then you're in regardless of whether you met the offer or not. If it says unsuccessful then I'm not sure if it's worth phoning up and begging.

If you don't get the letter/info on Track before getting your grades, the best thing to do is to call them. Medicine being as competitive as it is, it's highly likely that you won't be lucky, but you never know - they'll still have the information from your application/interview, so they will probably have decided which applicants they want to take even if they miss offers. It also depends on how many other people miss them etc. Being very close to the grade required/missing the grade in a "less relevant" subject will probably also work in your favour.

Universities nearly always make more offers than they have places on the course. They calculate how many to offer based on what proportion they expect will reject them and go elsewhere, and how many will miss their grades. For Medicine in particular, they have a quota to fill, so they can't go over a certain number. How likely you are to get in depends both on how close you were, how good your application was and how many places they have spare. But the only way to know is to ring up, and to ring up quickly, even if you have to spend all day on hold - it needs to be sorted. Get onto your firm choice first and then your insurance if necessary.

Hopefully, of course, none of this will be needed :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending