Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Household income for mature student

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I am starting an access course in CAVC in September.

    Currently I am self employed so my hours are flexible, but with the amount of study I will be doing (the access course and a distance learning course for GCSE Maths) my income is projected at £10,000 over the next year.

    My wife is working full time, earning PAYE £26,000pa.

    We have two children defendant on us (9 and 14).

    Would there be any benefits of me applying for student finance NOT based on household income?

    Confused which option would be better.


    As far as I know, if you don't declare your household income then you will only receive the basic maintenance loan (which is around £3,800*). You would get a substantially bigger maintenance loan if you did include your household income. See here: http://www.savethestudent.org/studen...aintenanceloan

    *Not 100% on this figure, it could well be lower.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.