The Student Room Group

Occupational health check for uni

I've accepted an offer to study pharmacy in September and I had to send off a health questionnaire disclosing all my medical conditions etc. I've suffered from some serious mental ill health over the past few years and couldn't finish college last year because of it - and the uni have just called to say I need to have a meeting with a more senior physician to review my case, whereas my friend (same course, same uni) has been cleared just by the paperwork!!

I'm so so nervous they'll withdraw my offer or won't take me or something, has anyone had any experience with occupational health??
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've accepted an offer to study pharmacy in September and I had to send off a health questionnaire disclosing all my medical conditions etc. I've suffered from some serious mental ill health over the past few years and couldn't finish college last year because of it - and the uni have just called to say I need to have a meeting with a more senior physician to review my case, whereas my friend (same course, same uni) has been cleared just by the paperwork!!

I'm so so nervous they'll withdraw my offer or won't take me or something, has anyone had any experience with occupational health??

I had a simmilar check for childcare. As far as i'm aware it doesn't do anything- just for their knowledge. May mean that the put slightly different measures in place for you but shouldn't be anything you notice past the meeting stage.

For me I just got a phone call and they asked about my conditions and how they affect me. They asked something allong the lines of any measures needed so I told them that they were being managed. That was that. As far as I can tell they were making sure they didn't need to accomodate me (like getting placement to put ramps in if I were in a wheelchair or something).

I would say that's quite normal given that you've said that you have had some serious mental ill health. Just go and be honest. There is a possibility that they may say that you are not ready to do the course yet but it will depend on how you are doing now and what exactly you were ill with.

I do social work, they usually look for 6 months stable (usually out of inpatient treatment) before starting a course. May be different for other courses, and it is always dependent on the person

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by bullettheory
I would say that's quite normal given that you've said that you have had some serious mental ill health. Just go and be honest. There is a possibility that they may say that you are not ready to do the course yet but it will depend on how you are doing now and what exactly you were ill with.

I do social work, they usually look for 6 months stable (usually out of inpatient treatment) before starting a course. May be different for other courses, and it is always dependent on the person

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you so much!! I'm going up next Tuesday for the meeting - they gave me some more information and said it's to see if any adjustments need to be made and check I'm fit to start, but I'm feeling a bit more reassured. I've been generally stable since November and out of ip since July so hopefully all is good. I have the all clear from my consultant and mentoring set up for when I start so all should be okay :smile:

Firstly, OH is not a pass or fail sort of situation and meetings are not uncommon. For a lot of professions they are compulsory regardless of whether you have declared anything or not. For people with no significant medical history and where the course doesn't require blood tests or immunisations, OH serves no purpose so it would be a pointless visit for your friend. The purpose of a meeting is to discuss what has happened to you, how you have coped since then, and whether any adjustments need to be made. The purpose of this is to help you, not to examine or test you so try not to panic.

Regarding mental health, many people go into healthcare professions with significant mental health histories. OH will be interested to know whether you have recovered and what stage of recovery you are at, what treatment you received, and whether you are still being regularly reviewed by a GP or medical professional. For the vast majority of applicants in your situation, they are almost or fully recovered and are having continuing treatment (whether this is medication, CBT, counselling etc.). In rare cases, OH may ask for a letter from your GP to state that you are, in their opinion, fit to begin the course. Generally, if you are stable, undergoing treatment or regularly seeing a professional then there are no issues at all.

OH do not have the power to withdraw your offer, and if a recommendation to do this was made (highly unlikely) you could absolutely appeal this, but this is so rare that I've never actually heard of it happening. They only make recommendations that people cannot continue on the course in extreme circumstances where there is an issue with them physically being able to complete the requirements of the course, for example, if someone was blind and adaptations were unable to be made, or in mental health where someone is a danger to the public (e.g. previous history of GBH and no treatment since then).

Quick Reply

Latest