The Student Room Group

How much to spend on my GF's birthday?

So my girlfriends birthday is coming up soon and I wanted to buy her something nice, it was a necklace she seen a while ago.

We've been together for about 4 months now and I was wondering whats everyone's preference when it comes to buying gifts? In terms of how much you would spend? I dont want to go overboard but then again I dont want to seem like a cheapskate. :L

Thanks in advance people

Scroll to see replies

Ask what she wants
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
Ask what she wants

I've got a rough idea what she wants, she kept hinting at it so I'm guessing thats whats on her mind
Original post by Anonymous
So my girlfriends birthday is coming up soon and I wanted to buy her something nice, it was a necklace she seen a while ago.

We've been together for about 4 months now and I was wondering whats everyone's preference when it comes to buying gifts? In terms of how much you would spend? I dont want to go overboard but then again I dont want to seem like a cheapskate. :L

Thanks in advance people

How much is it?

Thanks in advance people

Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
How much is it?

Around £70, as its a relatively new relationship I dont want to go overboard

Thanks in advance people

Splash the cash on mcflurries
I spent about £70 on my bf last year for his birthday..

We were together a couple months also. I don't know if thats a lot or not, but it seemed decent to me since It only comes about once per year :smile:
Depends how old you are and how well off. Are you both working?
Will she be buying you the same level of gift?

Its whatever you feel comfy with. If she dumped you in a months time would you regret spending £70?
Take note when it jumps to iphones and macbooks.
Reply 9

Thanks in advance people

Maybe Take her out instead, Spending time together is better than Materialistic things. I know summer is coming maybe take her Thorpe park two of you including food will probably come to 120 pound plus you will have fun.
Original post by 999tigger
Depends how old you are and how well off. Are you both working?
Will she be buying you the same level of gift?

Its whatever you feel comfy with. If she dumped you in a months time would you regret spending £70?
Take note when it jumps to iphones and macbooks.

Were in university and we both dont have jobs. I'd like to think she would but I dont know :? Tbh I will have some money left over if I do buy it but not a lot, I feel i'd be able to get some more money but then again I might not so I'm a bit edgy about that.

Haha noted :biggrin:
Original post by NoahMal
Maybe Take her out instead, Spending time together is better than Materialistic things. I know summer is coming maybe take her Thorpe park two of you including food will probably come to 120 pound plus you will have fun.

We've got a break booked for the end of the year so I've already spent around £100 on that, not including money for when we actually go. I could say to her that her present isnt anything amazing because of the holiday?
You love a girl enough to not worry about the cost (unless of course, it's ridiculous!), so think about the thought of the present, how you know it will make her feel happy and loved. Imagine her reaction when she opens it, when she says thank you and I love you. It's all the thought of what could happen if you gave her what she deserves. I'm no expert (of course), but no one is, you do what you think is best. Maybe ask her friends who are closest to her, someone who knows her well... but surely isn't that you?
You love her enough to give her what she can cherish forever.
We've got a break booked for the end of the year so I've already spent around £100 on that, not including money for when we actually go. I could say to her that her present isnt anything amazing because of the holiday?

Nah Allow that she will prob kill you.

You could "go on a break" untill like a week after her birthday... #MoneySaved
Were in university and we both dont have jobs. I'd like to think she would but I dont know :? Tbh I will have some money left over if I do buy it but not a lot, I feel i'd be able to get some more money but then again I might not so I'm a bit edgy about that.

Haha noted :biggrin:

Only you know how well your relationship is going and your own finances. If you dont have a job , income or savings, then you could be needing that later. If I felt she was great and things were going well, then I might, but if she was being pushy and or materialistic, then no. Try it, see what you think and then start saving for Christmas.

Thanks in advance people

You have been together for 4 months. Get her something small (£10-20).
don't feel like you have to buy her love.
buy her the amount that she's spent on *your* birthday.
Depends on your budget...I wouldn't go over £40..
Ok, thanks for the input guys. I'll probably keep it to something small or similar to what she wanted as;
1. I dont have a job
2. Money is pretty hard to come by
3. We've been together for a very short time

Thanks again people <3
Ok, thanks for the input guys. I'll probably keep it to something small or similar to what she wanted as;
1. I dont have a job
2. Money is pretty hard to come by
3. We've been together for a very short time

Thanks again people <3

Why not spend less and put more thought into it. Hopefully if she has any merit then she will understand thats better than just straight £.

If you have little money, then you should be thinking about food and bills.

Maybe think about it for Christmas, make a note of what it is and where.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending