Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

First Job- 16 y/o

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hiya, I'm posting this hoping somebody will have some advice, and hopefully they'll be people in the same situation. Some people will just be like lol that's pathetic but I think some people will actually understand it- so I'd love to hear from those people. So, basically, I have two GCSE exams left to do and the dreaded job hunting begins. This will be my first job, and it scares me so much. I've put it off for around a year and now, I know that i will have no excuses as I have around 2.5 months free time. My parents have been nagging at me to get one but I'm just really struggling. It's not the motivation side of it as I'm perfectly motivated; I would love to be independent and earning and not constantly have no money. It's just pushing myself that I find hard. I would describe my self as shy and a bit socially awkward so things like this are tough. Over the last year, I've isolated myself greatly, using study as an excuse. I just don't get out because one I have no money, and I don't involve myself in our friendships groups plans a lot. I wouldn't say I have social anxiety as people have it a lot worse, but I have definitely had panic attacks during interviews and public speaking tasks at school. I basically started crying, shaking, and went dizzy etc. I feel like that is holding me back because I'm scared that will happen. This is also a reason for me becoming so socially awkward because to avoid it happening I've just cut myself off. I know I don't I have an illness of such but I just don't know how to get out of this situation. I feel trapped and the idea of getting a job basically makes me want to crap myself!🙈😂 My mum doesn't understand as she's a firm believer of picking yourself up from issues and pushing your way through them. I've hinted at my situation but she never take in on board. It's always like, oh you just need to get a grip and do it as you'll feel better for it. She's probably right but I can't be the only one who feels like I just can't do it. I know at some point, I'll have to get over it as I have high ambitions in life and social skills are key in any situation. Sometimes I fine, sometimes my mind goes blank and I just start shaking and blushing. It's so frustrating as I don't get why I'm like this. I'mso jealous of all my friends who are all confident and earning their own money. I'm just the kind of group joke because I suppose to them my awkwardness is kind of funny and cute as I'm just the like the blissfully unaware innocent one, but it's not when you need a job. Countless times, people have tried to reassure me that everyone is awkward to an extent and things get easier but it's like a part of me is just blocking out any advice. I'm just so negative and overly concerned about what others are thinking. I feel like I don't even know how to construct basic conversations with people. I don't know, I feel like it would be comforting to know I'm not the only one who feels this way and if anybody has actually carried on to the end reading through this big pile of **** then if you have any words of motivation/advice they'd be greatly appreciated! Thankss x😊

Hey, I'm 16 too, and through my exams, although I have 3 left. I can only say what I think, though I don't really much of an experience or relation to you, so forgive me.

A job is important in life, it is what all of us need and will eventually experience. You shouldn't have any trouble in getting employed, and theres absolutely nothing to be worried about. If it makes it any easier, think of it as a great enjoyable experience, even when you haven't started yet, think of the new friends you will make, the fun times you will have. Your parents are parents, of course they care about you and only want to the best for you. They encourage you to get a job, push away your thoughts and memories and just got for it. Because risks are what makes life exciting and unpredictable. If you don't like that, thats normal. You're just out of your comfort zone. I'm 16, I'll be getting a job soon, most of my friends have already, and sure at first, you'll be nervous, the interviews will be a little scary, but in the end, it's just another day, another day at work in this case. My friends love it! They all work at different places, but all near each other, they meet up for lunch, so no. They're not lonely, they're not isolated. Don't isolate yourself from others in the job, all I can say is to have fun.
    And in fact, if you convince yourself enough, that this will be a most positive experience, it really will be!!!

Enjoy yourself and forget those silly worries!!!

Hey, im also 16 and I'm looking for a job as well atm, but I've said that after my last exam (thursday) I'm going to go to high street stores and ask if they have any available. I'm not the most confident either but I've just been inspired to change myself, and i think getting a job will help a lot with that, as interviews can really help you develop confidence. Anyways, what jobs were you thinking of? Most of all though - this summer is about having fun and enjoying yourself - because after its going to be indoors a lot - and you want to make the most of it.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.