The Student Room Group

What did you write for Edexcel C2 GCSE's last 6 marker?

I'm curious whether or not I'd get marks for describing an experiment where a gas syringe is used to add oxygen tics piece of magnesium ribbon held in a test tube instead of the crucible method everyone said they put...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by harry_16
I'm curious whether or not I'd get marks for describing an experiment where a gas syringe is used to add oxygen tics piece of magnesium ribbon held in a test tube instead of the crucible method everyone said they put...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, you were supposed to work out the empirical formula. It even gave the answers to you. But for some stupid reason I worked it out with 2 oxygen as it's O(small 2) as the molecule is diatomic. However, the equation was Mg+O=Mg0, so you didn't need the small 2. I'm guessing I'll still pick up a few marks though for working it out. This eventually gives you the answer of 1:1. However, you were also supposed to put that you could react magnesium with hydrochloric acid and measure the gas using a gas syringe. I also put that you could weigh the magnesium with scales as it did ask you to how the values could of been found.

I have no idea to what the crucible method is but your method seemed legit and you'll probably gain about 3-4 marks (as you didn't work the empirical formula).
Reply 2
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did the empirical formula part (I was mainly worried about the marks for the experiment). I made the exact same mistake as you did! I ended up with Mg2O because of it but as long as you show that you understand the method for working it out you should get most if the marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending