The Student Room Group

Is being a 'good guy' a bad thing?

I've never had a girlfriend before and I'm 22 years old. All through secondary school and university though I have made efforts to speak to girls, get to know them but always unable to secure a date with them.

I have some close female friends and I asked them for some dating advice from a girl's perspective and they said that when I'm getting to know girls (relationship wise) I shouldn't be 'too nice'. So many times during university have I been labelled a nice guy by girls that I want to date. Why exactly is this a bad thing?

Should I start being an A-hole and laugh at girls in their faces or start calling them the B word or insult their parents? What is wrong with being too nice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I've never had a girlfriend before and I'm 22 years old. All through secondary school and university though I have made efforts to speak to girls, get to know them but always unable to secure a date with them.

I have some close female friends and I asked them for some dating advice from a girl's perspective and they said that when I'm getting to know girls (relationship wise) I shouldn't be 'too nice'. So many times during university have I been labelled a nice guy by girls that I want to date. Why exactly is this a bad thing?

Should I start being an A-hole and laugh at girls in their faces or start calling them the B word or insult their parents? What is wrong with being too nice?

just be yourself... how would u act around a normal group of people? nothing wrong with being nice .... but are u just being nice to girls to get their attention ? because that is not very attractive...
Reply 3
I can't believe this is a question. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

I'm a bad boy smh
It's true though, *******s do get more girls.
The thing about bad guys getting all the girls is a myth.

Strong guys get all the girls. If you're a good guy but stronger than all the bad guy you'll be the best. And those bad guys (complete jokes) won't be able to even come close to competing.
Reply 7
Strange question :hmmmm:

To rephrase, I'd ask, "Is being a bad guy a good thing?"
I can randomly think of some bad things about being nice: unexciting (no sense of rebellion); fake (truly nice guys are very unlikely); harder to communicate (being a bit rude now and again is something that many can build bonds with); possibly less banter (imagine laughing with someone because you jab their sides!...or something); more obscure purposes (as in, they would probably think of you as a friend more since you're not doing that semi-rude flirting o3o); a certain level of hostility (would you tell a nice person your possibly rude thoughts and opinions? what would they then think of you?).

All just theoretical. Of course, you could just find a girl who is as nice as you and leave it to the feeling of love!
This is going to turn into one of those friends about "nice" guys and nice guys.

There's no such thing as too nice. There is however being spineless, fake, manipulative whilst trying to keep up the impression of being a good person. Don't be that guy. Be yourself, be human and make mistakes, but also be caring and respectful.
Nope. Being too nice is not a bad thing. Having a 'nice guy' sense of entitlement is though. Just because you are nice to girls...doesnt mean ****.

Women owe self proclaimed nice guys precisely zero.
Yes-girls like a guy with an edginess about him, nobody got time for a pussy (so go out and get that pussy) :pierre:
Reply 12
It's not a bad thing. It's just boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest. Its depends on the girl. One girl will respond in disgust if you just insult her out of nowhere, and some will see u as assertive and develop attraction

What I can tell you is that if you insult someone u rarely speak to you are heading to disaster

The ******* thing will work on people who u see on regular basis.

Anyway at the end of the day money and a good looking face are the #1 form of getting girls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like the idea of being a "good guy" is just an excuse for guys who get rejected by girls to make themselves feel better about the situation. You cannot expect girls to like you just because you are a so called good guy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice guys get best girls though, in the end. :h: All depends if you prefer quality over quantity.
Some absolutely shocking advice in here.

Focus on yourself, mate. Pursue your goals with diligence and vigour. Take care of your body by eating well, going to the gym. Focus on making money and getting to where you're hopefully headed. Don't get too caught up about what others think of you, particularly women.

You might find that womens' attitudes towards you change once you improve your general aura.

Also, treat women with respect, but don't be a complete lapdog.
Depends whether you're actually a good guy or one of those dudes who labels themselves "good guys" but just rude and put on an act of goodness to fool good girls looking for good guys. Bad boys are good for short term and when you want to have fun and feel adventurous. Good guys are great for marriage, and long term relationships.
Original post by Clockrice
Nice guys get best girls though, in the end. :h: All depends if you prefer quality over quantity.

Plus there's the fact that most girls just don't get wet for nice blokes. I expect this to be an unpopular assessment, but it's largely true.
There are only 3 types, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Many from the third type try to claim to be from the first.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending