The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Mature Students 2016 - Housing or Halls?

Hey guys, I'm a mature student at 24 starting a medical course at Plymouth in September. I'm currently a bit torn between sharing a house or renting university halls for the first year, does anyone have any advice on this front?

In my experience halls are great fun for community and meeting new people (loved it the first time around), but I definitely can't drink as much as I used to and might increasingly value a quiet night! Just interested if any other slightly older students have some experience to share or are wondering the same thing?

On another note, are any other mature students looking into houses/flats for Sept?

Cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Tony,

Im a mature student moving to Plymouth to study in September. I would love to get a house/flat share, but I have only started looking now and I dont know Plymouth at all. Have you had any luck in finding places or people?

Cheers
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Plymouth University have a site with all of the university approved private accommodation @ https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation/current-students
and http://www.plymouthstudentpad.co.uk/Accommodation.

This may help you find some private accommodation in Plymouth.
Reply 3
Hi Tony (and Elle),

I've just been accepted to study Physiotherapy as a mature student and am thinking along the same lines - not sure whether to go for halls / private accommodation. Let me know if either of you would be interested in searching for a shared house / similiar.

Cheers, Rich
Reply 4
Hi Rich,

I havent had much luck yet, its tough having never been to the city and not sure where to start looking....
I would definitely be interested in a house share....
Add me on facebook and we could discuss more?
https://www.facebook.com/ella.mcknighty

Cheers, Elle
Reply 5
Hey me too! Can I get in on this? Will be doing a Masters at Plymouth come September :smile:
Becky
Reply 6
Hi Becky!!

Great!! Yes definitely! Do you know Plymouth at all?? Would be great to get a house share, maybe 4 or 5 people...
I have found a house that has 7 rooms... add me on facebook and we can talk about trying to find somewhere..
Theres a link in my previous message.
Reply 7
Hey sorry for the slow reply. Been in Stockholm for the week! Just added you Elle. Anyone had any luck yet?
Hi! I'm a mature student (also 24!) who's pretty keen to avoid halls if at all possible as I've been there done that now! I'm starting Healthcare science this year and I'm looking for housing atm.
Reply 9
Hey Becky, Elle, El and Rich!

Sorry for not checking this sooner! I'm overseas currently with terrible local internet and so stopped looking after the third week.

Great to hear there are a good number of like-minded people around (also funny chance to have so many health-care related studies!), and I agree with El's sentiment; halls are fun but given the choice I'd rather not repeat it six years on!

On that note, I've recently signed up to Plymouth accommodation as a back-up but would love to rent a house-share if we can manage it, how's house hunting going for everyone?

Tony
Reply 10
I'm in the same boat as you guys, looking accommodation for this coming academic year. I've put Plymouth as my insurance choice and been accepted to study marine biology and oceanography. I'm 33 and from Northern Ireland and have only been to plymouth once for my interview, so I'm not really familiar with the region. ATM I'm still awaiting a reply on my firm choice. Any advice regarding halls, house/flat shares would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
hey guys,
same situation here. :biggrin: am mature too, moving to Plymouth in early Sep studying Geography. i think i go for house sharing as it seems much more affordable than halls tbh. :/ happily buddy up with anyone :smile:
Reply 12
Hey all, I have to admit I haven't done much searching as I'm currently waiting on my offer to be confirmed on 18th August (had to take A level Biology as I never took it when younger - should be fine though).

As soon as it's confirmed I will be searching like mad, but given that there are quite a few of us I'm not overly worried about finding people to live with and a place. Lets all keep in touch and if anyone finds anything let us know?
Reply 13
Hey guys,

Sounds great to me, I'm a bit tied up over here and won't be in the UK till late August, is anyone local to Plymouth to have a look at properties if we find a suitable place online?

I confess I haven't done a great deal of looking either.. but as Rich says there's quite a few of us so not overtly worried.

Great to have so many other people in a similar position!

As to advice Paul, I've heard from the Uni there's actually quite a few older folk in both halls and housing, the prices for halls however are quite extortionate compared to house-shares (~£100-150/w vs £80-90/w). Reviews for halls are also very mixed - I've found studentcrowd.com a useful site for comparing halls (tried to post a direct link just now but it was blocked).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Really wish I could house share but I'm a single mum of 2 as well as mature student so bit difficult lol
Would need two bedrooms but hey if anyone actually fancies the idea let me know, could be a crazy but fun idea? Least you'd know im reliable, sensible and can cook :wink:
Reply 15
Had a quick look and found quite a few reasonable properties on rightmove.co.uk, generally from £90-£100pw bills included.
Also just seen a near-uni 6-person one with a pool table and covered patio-garden for £92/w... not bad!

(rightmove.co.uk/student-accommodation/property-40094409.html#)
Reply 16
If you're a mature student and not looking for housemates that go out 3-4 times a week, then you should not look towards halls. Most of them are full of 18-19 year old that party non stop. The more expensive halls £140+ p/w might have more mature crowd but there's still partying going on all around.

I have a nice en-suite bedroom available in a shared student house if anyone's interested. Just £110 per week including everything. Not a party or smoking house though.
I was at plymouth last year in halls, at 24 years old.
Had a really fun time.
Did get a few jokes from flat mates about it in jest. Had an amazing time myself though.
Good luck!
Reply 18
Just received the halls offer from Plymouth and the 7-day deadline, I reckon it's about time those of us that are certain about house sharing started looking seriously at rent options?
There's a fair few properties still available for September, guess we probably want a couple of 3/4 person houses or one larger one?
Who's sure they want to rent come September?
Reply 19
Hi there,

Just came across this thread... I am a mature student and will be studying Dietetics at Plymouth in September (Providing I meet the conditions).
I am definitely looking to house share come September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending