The Student Room Group

Special consideration?

Hey guys. Ive created this thread to see if you think that i should apply for special consideration in my a-levels (A2).

So, i suffer from anorexia nervosa and have been in recovery (on and off) since December 2014. The problem is that eating disorders are so often coupled with other mental illnesses (co-morbidity). This is what has been the case with me. Since around December last year i have began to suffer with anxiety, and have had three very public anxiety attacks (uncontrollable crying, breathlessness, feeling faint etc). Since February this year i have been suffering from 'low mood' which has stopped me enjoying things i previously did, made me have little energy and a lack of concentration.

The problem is that ive just finished my A-Level exams and know that these illnesses have stopped me performing to the best of my ability. The anxiety caused me extreme panic (shaking, heart palpatations etc) during around the first and last 15-20 minutes of every exam. This made it difficult for me to write, and made my brain cloudy. The low mood has made me lack concentration and have little energy.

I visit a unit fortnightly for sessions with a psychologist/nurse. She is aware of my problems. In March i had a meeting with the doctor at the unit who said that she didnt think medication was necessary yet (to control my anxiety and lift my mood), but that we would have a meeting a few weeks prior to my first exams so that if it was necessary it had time to take effect. This meeting never happened due to a lack in communication, and therefore i did not obtain medication before my exams.

My question is that due to these circumstances do you think i should apply for special consideration and would be granted it. I did not apply before my exams because i didnt realise the extent to which my symptoms would heighten during them.

I am due to have another meeting with the doctor at the unit in just over a weeks time, in which i will ask her what to do. Would it be too late to apply for special consideration by the time everything gets sorted out eg. a letter is written, given to the exams office at school and sent off. My last exam was yesterday.

Thanks for any help, i just wanted to know other peoples opinions.
yes, i dont know if you're late but yes do apply.

have you not spoken to an exam official or head?
Talk to your exam officer now. It would help if you had medical support for your condotions and how they might impair your ability.
There are deadlines for each exam board, which you cannot afford to miss. They are different. You must check what they are. AQA it is 6 July, but Edexcel it is 7 days from the last exam.
You have nothing to lose if you apply.
If they accpet your claim it cna amount to a small uplift from 1-5%.

Quick Reply

Latest