Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Alternative Accommodation Thread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hi everyone,

My name is Steve and I'm a student ambassador for BU here on TSR.

Accommodation is a hot topic in the BU forum at the moment, and I've noticed that a few of you have been asking if there are any other options outside of the 'standard' halls/ Unilet accommodation.

If you're looking for a housemate to share with in private lettings or want to meet others who might be living in the same alternative accommodation building, then this thread is for you!

For anyone unaware of the alternative accommodation options (halls-type residencies that aren't associated with BU but just as viable), here's the link to some more information.

Steve Moss

Hey everyone, Im looking for some housemates to share with in a private letting

Good luck to all new applicants! If you receive an offer and are still unsure about where to live, I am offering my studio flat at Mercury House which is a brand new building built last year. I was going to move in this September, but then decided to take up a placement in Manchester. Mercury House is in the town centre, super close to all the shops, clubs, the beach and bus stops that go to uni. Rent is £180 a week, including bills, WiFi, insurance, a private bathroom and kitchen. The common room area has multiple TV screens and table football (plus cool surfboard decorations!).

Although Mercury only offers studio flats (not shared), the team there organises regular socials to help make new friends. To be honest though, if you prefer a bit of our own space, a bigger room ( I got anxiety from living in my cage-like room in regular halls), want less party noise / 3am fire drills, BUT still want to be close to all the action - then Mercury House is a really great option (hence why I chose it). Trust me, living with a bunch of random and often disrespectful people in a poorly managed house cramped with students is a lot less fun than it sounds. Save the shared living experience for when you actually know who your friends are! (*cough* that's what 2nd year is for).

For more details, please message me x

Hey all, we're currrently looking for someone to fill a room in a house share in Pine Road, about 20 minute walk from Bournemouth Uni's Talbot Campus. If interested please drop me a message and I'll get back to you
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.