The Student Room Group

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelstresss
Anders Brevik massacre is one, the attempted Euro 2016 attack which was stopped by Ukrainian police a few weeks ago.

So one attack, 1 attempted murder and one attempted attack in 5 years is evidence of a significant problem?
Original post by tanyapotter
British terrorism is despicable.

What is "British terrorism"?
Arrested 52 year old named as Tommy Mair
Reply 63
To be fair, we can't be sure if this was an act based on the EU, or just some right wing nutter who attacked his local labour MP. It is a hot topic, but I still think that it's slightly presumptuous to associate this with Brexit, and certainly to place a measure of blame on the campaign itself. Likely that this guy was planning to vote leave (he attacked a left wing MP), and my guess is that the attack would have probably been partially, if not fully, motivated by the referendum, but worth waiting to see what comes out before jumping to conclusions. No point debating something that isn't true/relevant.
Original post by TercioOfParma
So one attack, 1 attempted murder and one attempted attack in 5 years is evidence of a significant problem?

Breivik wasn't an "attempted attack", he set off a car bomb in central Oslo killing 8 and injuring over 200, then proceeded to Utoya island where he mowed down 69 young Norwegian Labour Party members and injured another 110.

Nothing "attempted" about it

Those aren't the only attacks, I just listed two because you wanted 'proof', you didn't specify you require a certain frequency of attacks, nor did you originally specify 'significant'.

An attack was attempted within the last four weeks, attacks in the past have had high casualty impact, and there have been many smaller scale attacks since then, one of which we may have seen today, another is the shooting of 9 black people in the USA about a year ago, or the planned parenthood shooting within the last year. All of which can be classed as right wing attacks.

But even if you individually nitpick each one and give me a reason why they might be interpreted as not right wing, there is still a general right wing hatred for immigrants, Muslims, etc and non-fatal attacks on them have been initiated since the refugee crisis.
Original post by Thutmose-III
Breivik wasn't an "attempted attack", he set off a car bomb in central Oslo killing 8 and injuring over 200, then proceeded to Utoya island where he mowed down 69 young Norwegian Labour Party members and injured another 110.

Nothing "attempted" about it

I was referring to the EU 2016 one. I said that brevik happened if you'd reread what I wrote.
I was referring to the EU 2016 one. I said that brevik happened if you'd reread what I wrote.

You don't think a terror attack that results in almost 70 deaths is a problem?
Sky News has apparently spoken to a witness who reported the shooter shouted "Britain first"

Ofc conveniently it was Sky found a witness that would paint a 'leaver' in a bad light.
Original post by alevelstresss
Those aren't the only attacks, I just listed two because you wanted 'proof', you didn't specify you require a certain frequency of attacks, nor did you originally specify 'significant'.

An attack was attempted within the last four weeks, attacks in the past have had high casualty impact, and there have been many smaller scale attacks since then, one of which we may have seen today, another is the shooting of 9 black people in the USA about a year ago, or the planned parenthood shooting within the last year. All of which can be classed as right wing attacks.

But even if you individually nitpick each one and give me a reason why they might be interpreted as not right wing, there is still a general right wing hatred for immigrants, Muslims, etc and non-fatal attacks on them have been initiated since the refugee crisis.

I am not doing that, I am asking for proof.

However, what I will say is that the abortion clinic bombings are probably more down to religion than political ideology. However, the shooting in that church is an example of right wing terrorism.
You don't think a terror attack that results in almost 70 deaths is a problem?

I wrote 1 attack at the start. Oh dear.
Reply 71

That's some attack to dismiss.....
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Ofc conveniently it was Sky found a witness that would paint a 'leaver' in a bad light.

Why would someone screaming "Britain first" paint leave in a bad light? I would have thought it paints ultra-nationalists and extreme right-wingers in a bad light.

Do you have any evidence that Sky (which is owned by News Corp that also owns the Sun newspaper) was involved in some conspiracy to paint the leave campaign in a bad light? Or is it just your natural paranoia and tendency to conspiracy theory?

You seem to be repeating yourself and getting confused. You said this "one attack" is not a problem. I asked you about it
You seem to be repeating yourself and getting confused. You said this "one attack" is not a problem. I asked you about it

I said not a significant problem, in that 1 attack is no indication of an endemic problem. Sure, it's a tragedy but It doesn't suggest the extreme right is a significant problem.
Why would someone screaming "Britain first" paint leave in a bad light? I would have thought it paints ultra-nationalists and extreme right-wingers in a bad light.

Do you have any evidence that Sky (which is owned by News Corp that also owns the Sun newspaper) was involved in some conspiracy to paint the leave campaign in a bad light? Or is it just your natural paranoia and tendency to conspiracy theory?

The same News Corp owned by Rupert Murdoch that is affiliated with Cameron personally, and wants to stay in the EU.

Painting UKIP/Britain First as aggressive, racists who attack those who want to remain in the EU certainly makes for an interesting narrative. Apparently the 'witness' who said the attacker shouted 'Britain First' wasn't even there ffs.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I didn't see the Britain First thing until after I made the post.

I still think it will turn out to have been some kind of extremist attack by a far Right fanatic, maybe UKIP isn't in the frame, but time will tell.

Well yes it is looking like a far right fanatic but smearing UKIP or the vote leave campaign as far right is far wrong
BANNING GUNS WOULD HAVE STOPPED THIS
Oh wait
Original post by Mathemagicien
You clearly missed my point. If there's an Islamist attack, she doesn't blame Islam, but when there's an attack by someone who we aren't even certain is right wing yet, she's the first to connect it to UKIP and Farage

Whereas I blame Islam for Islamist attacks, and UKIP for right wing attacks - so I'm not the one being hypocritical

and you shouldn't blame islam for islamist attacks because 90% of the time it is just a hate filled, angry, frustrated individual who has had a bad turn in their life and they want to hurt other people, and they live with it by hiding behind the justification of extremist Islam. They are murderers, nothing more, Islam did not cause them to do anything. Islam just gives them a way of thinking that they are justified, when in fact they just want to destroy lives around them because they are frustrated with their own boring lives. do you really think these people go around wanting to make Islam the one true world religion? no, they know they are not helping Islam by committing these atrocities, and they are literally just taking their anger out on a group of people, while in their eyes, not seeing themselves as the monsters they are
(edited 7 years ago)
Ban guns!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending