The Student Room Group

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire

Scroll to see replies

:sad:
Original post by Bornblue
I know. Could you imagine if sky had an owner who was massively pro-leave like say Rupert Murdoch? Oh wait...

Yeah, because the Sun says we should leave means that's what he wants.

Sky are Cameron's ***** anyway.
This is so sad :frown: All this stuff about the EU referendum is clearly getting out of hand ... How has this managed to happen in the middle of the day?:cry:
Original post by ChemGod007
This is so sad. Jo was an amazing campaigner for Syrian refugees. 100% agree with @A Mysterious Lord noone should try and politicize this terrible incident. RIP Jo

It is, of course, terrible news. And I abhor some of the more blatant attempts to spin it (like Maria Eagle tweeting within about 2 hours of the attack this "Britain First" claim).

But this attack is political. Pretty much everything that happens in the public sphere is political, and particularly an armed attack on an elected representative of the public. All such incidents will have political implications, even if the attacker is a complete nutter with no ideological motivation, because it will have implications for police poiicy, mental health policy (and all policy questions have a political dimension) etc. If it turns out he did say "Britain First" and that he was linked to the group, that too will be political because there may be calls for it to be banned as a terrorist organisation.

As I said, the more blatant attempts to spin it in the very immediate aftermath are in poor taste. But attempting to shut down debate and considerations of the implications of the incident by claiming it is "politicisation" seems equally manipulative.
Just live within a mile from where it happened.
RIP Jo Cox.😞
Reply 145
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Of course it's incredibly horrible and sad, but I see the reverse going on here - potentially this was a far right fanatic murder of a leading politician and the usual suspects on TSR don't want that discussing.

Alternatively we just stop talking about it altogether, but if the thread is continuing, it's legitimate to talk about why this has happened.

I'm completely outraged by her murder so stop telling me what I can and can't say about it.

An eyewitness heard him shouting 'Britain First', hence the discussion about that. Stop trying to censor it. If it turns out to be false, fair enough.

If your motives are good, that's fine, but to all those far-right people who infest TSR, trying to stop discussion at this time, my best advice to you all is to **** off.

A number of eyewitnesses have disputed the "Britain First" claim.
Newspapers have removed the claim from their articles and their headlines.
Original post by EuanF
A number of eyewitnesses have disputed the "Britain First" claim.
Newspapers have removed the claim from their articles and their headlines.

OK, we'll see. The Yorkshire Post, which is closest to what's going on there, says "witnesses" plural heard it.
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/video-labour-mp-jo-cox-dies-after-shooting-and-stabbing-outside-birstall-library-1-7967886
Original post by tanyapotter
You wouldn't be questioning this if the attacker shouted "allahu akbar". Have some respect.

Sorry but 'Aamir Tahir of The Dry Clean Centre', the messenger of a 'lady he works with', is not a very reliable source. I think I'll wait for more information before I come to the conclusion the shooter is affiliated with Britain First.
As far as I know nothing has been confirmed about the attacker shouting "Britain First".
RIP Jo Cox, Labour MP

Thoughts and prayers go out to her husband, children and the rest of her family.

What is so horrifying is not just that she was killed whilst exercising democracy (she was about to hold a surgery), but the brutal way she was killed is so sad.
Reply 150
OK, we'll see. The Yorkshire Post, which is closest to what's going on there, says "witnesses" plural heard it.
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/video-labour-mp-jo-cox-dies-after-shooting-and-stabbing-outside-birstall-library-1-7967886

It wasn't confirmed during the police statement/talk, and there's videos of eyewitnesses denying it.
This is both a tragedy and an absolute disgrace. Apparently we're now the kind of country that has political killings.

We could do without morons of all political persuasions trying to claim this as some kind of conspiracy to be honest.
I'm completely outraged by her murder so stop telling me what I can and can't say about it.

An eyewitness heard him shouting 'Britain First', hence the discussion about that. Stop trying to censor it. If it turns out to be false, fair enough.

If your motives are good, that's fine, but to all those far-right people who infest TSR, trying to stop discussion at this time, my best advice to you all is to **** off.

An eye witness also heard multiple shooters in Orlando.
Original post by Bornblue
Hmm, I wonder if you'll react the same away next time an attack by a member of another certain group occurs and there are 5,000 threads on here within thirty seconds

If and when it's confirmed that the attack is by a "member of another certain community", then have at it. Until then, nobody should kick in with conspiracy theories that border on the moronic.

Suggesting that UKIP made him do it?! That's just idiotic.

I'm from Yorkshire. Don't trust the Yorkshire post, its not good journalism.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm a Conservative and disagree with this MP's views but it is still sad that she died.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
This is both a tragedy and an absolute disgrace. Apparently we're now the kind of country that has political killings.

We could do without morons of all political persuasions trying to claim this as some kind of conspiracy to be honest.

You have no idea if it's a conspiracy or not.

We shouldn't try and shut down any lines of enquiry or thinking about it - we don't know everything yet.
Shall we wait for the full facts to come out then? So far it appears that he was a far right fanatic Leaver, which is completely relevant. Time will tell, but I've removed the post saying UKIP may have been involved.

There's certainly nothing remotely petty about this and if it does turn out to have been a politically motivated attack, then we need a complete investigation to see if he was encouraged by others and if anyone else knew about his intentions.

I have no argument with the 2nd paragraph of what you wrote, but I don't understand what possess you to write such comments in the first place (I am talking about your original comment).
Original post by Drewski
The woman's barely even cold and all you can do is bloviate and spout **** that, at best, is in extremely poor taste, and at worse is barely human.

The woman has died. Her young children have been left without a mother and all you can do is bleat on about conspiracy theories.

Seriously, just shut up.

You're doing yourself no favours and only make yourself look like a compete idiot.

This can apply to absolutely any incident that occurs.

I'm sure even you realise that as soon as something major happens, be it today, or Orlando, or anything else, the jump to political discussion begins immediately (Conspiracy theories and all), even when , as you say, the body/bodies are barely cold.

I genuinely don't see why people are so bemused by this when it occurs every single time here.
(edited 7 years ago)
You have no idea if it's a conspiracy or not.

We shouldn't try and shut down any lines of enquiry or thinking about it - we don't know everything yet.

Sure. Enquire. Don't make concrete claims about things you don't know. Linking this gunman to legitimate political parties is nothing short of lunacy.
Regardless of what was said or not these sorts of attacks are inevitable to increase as the PC culture remains.

Cultural differences between ethnicities are real. If these differences are not acknowledged there will be a lot of race on race violence in the future. And no, white people won't just be the victims.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending