The Student Room Group
Reply 1
being better at speaking/writing is definitely the best way to have things round - A level spanish is definitely a big step up from GCSE, and listening in particular gets quite hard but it's definitely something that gets easier with practice - towards the end of the A-level i've found it all quite straightforward, and looking back at the GCSE papers nowadays it's almost impossible to imagine that we could have found them hard in year 11!

i'd definitely reccomend it. i guess your A-level work totally depends on your teacher, but do expect to independently learn/note down vocab, learn a few tricky new bits of grammar. it should all become second nature over the course of the two years.

good luck!
Reply 2
Well the A level is pretty much the same as the AS. Preparing a topic to speak on, which must be controversial (as you spend 5 minutes arguing your point of view, and 10 minutes discussing on something else). I personally didn't find the listening hard because I live in Spain since 7 years and have spanish friends. You should be quite quick at the listening as you have 45 minutes to do the exam. I'd recommend getting some spanish channels or even visiting Spain during the holidays (if you can).
About the reading and writing, it's pretty simplistic and comprehension-type. Again if you can, read Spanish newspapers online. Good ones are: el Mundo, el País,....
It actually isn't too hard an A level but you need some good practice (in terms of being quite good at understanding it).

Latest