The Student Room Group

Aeronautical Engineering, need help

Hi

Im in a real dilema, can someone please point out to me exactly what prospects lay at the end of a degree in Aeronautical Engineering. Is it just a mundane job working at heathrow, or is the only alternative going into research. I know there are opportunities in finance etc... but i mean within the engineering field.

One other thing does Aeronatical engineering involve how to make actual engines etc... or is it mainly focused on the aerodynamic, wind loading etc.. of an aeroplane.

Any advice much appreciated, i apologise if i sould ignorant.

And also which do you think has better prospects, Aeronatuical Engineering or Civil Engineering.

Thanks
Sorry.. just finished my exams so kinda pissed atm.. so this will be VERY brief will get back to you when im sober! :P

2 main areas.. you can go into any of the aerospace companies.. AIRBUS, BOEING etc.. an alternate route into them would be through the RAF.. but not for everyone.. then theres the car side.. if you get a decent degree and then go onto post grade you can go on to work in the race car industry.. working with groups such as the Formula One teams! :biggrin:..

Anyway.. need sleep.. will get back to you.. (ive applied for Aero Eng :biggrin:)
Reply 2
When u get ur degree there are loads of things u can do!!!! There is research but there is also design, manufacture, systems design, testing and some more stuff which i dont no off the top of my head...sry!!

Aero engineering involves everthing fom making and engine to the cup holders in the seats!!! also dont 4get u dont neessicarily have to work in the airplane industry, u can also work with missiles, helicopters, spacecraft, forumla one cars.............................. kite design!!! lol pretty much anything to do with air. but if u really want to work at heathrow dont let any1 stop u!!

as for which has more prospects im not really sure if theres much of a difference

P.S am doing it next year and am a bit more sober than the guy above me.
Reply 3
Don't forget the fact that AeroEng degrees are highly mathematical and physical science based. And considering mathematics is probably the subject with the most prospects(especially in the science and finance sectors) you're practically opened up to anything.

The degree provides you with all the skills a prospective employer expects from a graduate. Good team working skills, industrial experience, mathematical and scientific knowledge that you can apply to real life problem solving, etc etc etc.

There's a wealth of jobs out there for an AeroEng graduate both within and outwith the aeronautical industry.

And remember, also, that the number of AeroEngineers in the world is falling rapidly, so they will be in large demand.

Latest