The Student Room Group

How to work out ums mark

I want to know what score I need for my a2 law exams for me to get an A

I scored 140 overall last year, what do I need in both units to get an A?
Original post by rkuni16
I want to know what score I need for my a2 law exams for me to get an A

I scored 140 overall last year, what do I need in both units to get an A?

Check out your specification for your exam board, work out how the two A2 units are weighted, what the total UMS is and how much UMS you need. I'd do it for you but you haven't specified an exam board :tongue: though they might be the same for most of them anyway.

Good luck!
Reply 2
The exam board is AQA
This is all so confusing to me!!!
Finding websites on AQA with loads of tables and percentages not sure which bit to look at :/

Would be much appreciated :smile: thank you
Original post by SeanFM
Check out your specification for your exam board, work out how the two A2 units are weighted, what the total UMS is and how much UMS you need. I'd do it for you but you haven't specified an exam board :tongue: though they might be the same for most of them anyway.

Good luck!
If its out of 400 UMS, an A will be 320, therefore you will need 180 UMS this year
Original post by rkuni16
The exam board is AQA
This is all so confusing to me!!!
Finding websites on AQA with loads of tables and percentages not sure which bit to look at :/

Would be much appreciated :smile: thank you

Both exams are worth 100 UMS each so I presume your AS is out of 200 too.

To get an A you need 80% of 400 which is 320.

You are on 140 already so you just need 320-140 = 180 from the two units combined.

If you do this, you will achieve an A* rather than an A. So an A is impossible for you to get without resits but an A* is possible (this is because you need 180 UMS or more to get an A overall, and if you achieve that from A2 units alone then you achieve an A* automatically).

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
So does this mean it is not possible for me to get an A or A* without resits due to my score being low in my as exams?
Original post by SeanFM
Both exams are worth 100 UMS each so I presume your AS is out of 200 too.

To get an A you need 80% of 400 which is 320.

You are on 140 already so you just need 320-140 = 180 from the two units combined.

If you do this, you will achieve an A* rather than an A. So an A is impossible for you to get without resits but an A* is possible (this is because you need 180 UMS or more to get an A overall, and if you achieve that from A2 units alone then you achieve an A* automatically).

Good luck!
Original post by rkuni16
So does this mean it is not possible for me to get an A or A* without resits due to my score being low in my as exams?

It is quite confusing to get your head around, but as you have 140 UMS, and without resits, to get enough UMS for an A you need 180 or more combined in A2. And that is exactly the condition to get an A* overall, so it is either A* or bust. It is not possible to get an A without getting an A*.
Reply 7
My papers are out of 80 and 85 for a2 which don't add up to 180 :frown:
Original post by SeanFM
It is quite confusing to get your head around, but as you have 140 UMS, and without resits, to get enough UMS for an A you need 180 or more combined in A2. And that is exactly the condition to get an A* overall, so it is either A* or bust. It is not possible to get an A without getting an A*.

:frown::frown:
Original post by rkuni16
My papers are out of 80 and 85 for a2 which don't add up to 180 :frown:

:frown::frown:

Ah yes, I saw that in the specification - but neither were your AS exams, but all 4 units are scaled to give 100 UMS each.
Reply 9
I got a grade B in AS with the score of 140

So how many marks will I need in each paper unit 3 and 4?
Original post by SeanFM
Ah yes, I saw that in the specification - but neither were your AS exams, but all 4 units are scaled to give 100 UMS each.
Original post by rkuni16
I got a grade B in AS with the score of 140

So how many marks will I need in each paper unit 3 and 4?

That is where it gets difficult.. grade boundaries change each year

If you want, look at this tool:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

and calculate it.

Just find the two marks that give you 180 UMS or more.

It's not going to be 100% accurate for your year but it'd be a good indicator.
Reply 11
Thank you for your help and sorry for being a pain!
Original post by SeanFM
That is where it gets difficult.. grade boundaries change each year

If you want, look at this tool:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

and calculate it.

Just find the two marks that give you 180 UMS or more.

It's not going to be 100% accurate for your year but it'd be a good indicator.
Original post by rkuni16
Thank you for your help and sorry for being a pain!

No worries :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending