The Student Room Group

Anyone sick of fat acceptance and the 'big is beautiful' campaign?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
[QUOTE=Mactotaur;65854293]These ones aren't English, but they're pretty prominent (and sell a lot of books): Ragen Chastain, Marilyn Wann, Peggy Howell.

Hardly prominent if I with my enormous intellect haven't heard of it, if there are no English disciples and as their website lacks any credibility.
Original post by mghanduri
That is exactly why I would like the NHS to stop treating people with self-caused illnesses, illnesses caused by smoking, alcohol, drugs and unhealthy food. We humans hate losing more than we love winning, so many people will be persuaded to be more fit. It would also save the NHS millions every year, and at the same time, if someone wants to wreck their body, it's their choice. We shouldn't be paying for their treatment.

Well most health problems today are caused by things we can avoid whether is eating junk food which destroys your body in the future or lack of exercise even if they arent fat. So most of us are wrecking our body one way or another. You might say dont treat STD patients cos they could've avoided it.
Original post by Prussia1
At the end of the day, big is not beautiful but looks lazy. Why should we be accepting that it's ok to be obese? It's sending the message to children that it's ok to be twice the weight of let's say a five year old. Fat people come across as greedy and I'm sick of seeing people too huge to fit in my field of vision.

I think you need to reconsider what you've posted. Some people genetically cannot control their size and obesity can, for some people be an uncontrollable thing.
Fat shaming is not making anyone skinnier, is it?
Why is homeopathy bad anyways. It has done wonders to a lot of people.
Original post by CorpusLuteum
I think you need to reconsider what you've posted. Some people genetically cannot control their size and obesity can, for some people be an uncontrollable thing.
Fat shaming is not making anyone skinnier, is it?

Yeah. And i dont know why people pay attention to fat people in general. Why not call ugly people ugly or call dumb people dumb.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah. And i dont know why people pay attention to fat people in general. Why not call ugly people ugly or call dumb people dumb.

Exactly, this thread is a bunch of bull.
Such horrible ignorance.
Original post by Zarek
So, a few thoughts:
- don't think the campaign you refer to exists. All I am aware of is a legitimate push back against models having to be anorexic
- body weight is not a simplistic matter, as one might hope the intelligentsia of the nation, present on TSR, might be able to grasp
- probably best to just mind your own business and focus on addressing your own odious issues

Well 9/10 times body weight is caused by wrong eating. Its not really caused by genetic only in rare cases. As long as you eat healthy foods and excercise you should become thin.
Original post by saraxh
The person who made this thread doesn't get that.

You are still healthier than an average fat persson. Your body doesnt contain as much fat so you wont have diseases fat people are likely to have.
Original post by Zarek
Hardly prominent if I with my enormous intellect haven't heard of it, if there are no English disciples and as their website lacks any credibility.

Maybe with your enormous intellect you could research the people I listed.
I'm sorry but being overweight/obese significantly increases the chances of getting diabetes, heart attacks, strokes etc and costs the health service millions every year. Tax payers should not pay for these lifestyles and we certainly should not have to accept fat as normal and beautiful.

You sure being overweight/obese is the issue? Is it the fat? Or is it the diet and lack of exercise? I'd definitely say it is more the latter. Plenty of fat rugby players who are healthy and don't end up dying of heart attacks.
Original post by TorpidPhil
You sure being overweight/obese is the issue? Is it the fat? Or is it the diet and lack of exercise? I'd definitely say it is more the latter. Plenty of fat rugby players who are healthy and don't end up dying of heart attacks.

Rugby players are hardly the prime example of health, going by injuries sustained. Look at the ears!
Original post by Mactotaur
Look up Health At Every Size (HAES). You'll probably wish you hadn't, but fat-is-healthy groups do exist and are relatively prominent.

Being fat is being unhealthy. Whether in the short term or the long term it will get to you.
Reply 72
Exactly, this thread is a bunch of bull.
Such horrible ignorance.

Because being fat is a problem for society and is NOT healthy. Do you realise how much fat people cost the NHS and the tax payer? Just because they cannot be bothered to get off the sofa.
Original post by TorpidPhil

They are fat they are muscly. They eat too much for their dose of energy which is controllable and can make them seem fat. However they have it under control which isnt the same as general fat people as rugby players have a purpose for being fat. Moreover they probably dont stay fat for long given their exercise so they probably wont have Heart problems
Original post by Anonymous
Being fat is being unhealthy. Whether in the short term or the long term it will get to you.

Yes, it is. I've said nothing denying that, if you read my posts properly.
Because being fat is a problem for society and is NOT healthy. Do you realise how much fat people cost the NHS and the tax payer? Just because they cannot be bothered to get off the sofa.

Firstly, not all 'fat' people can't be bothered to get off a sofa.
Secondly, bigoted people like you are the cause of world wide problems so get a life.
Thirdly, what's wrong with not being bothered to get off a sofa. I bet you do it.
Reply 76
There's always the pro-ana on the other side of the spectrum.

Pro ana?! I've never mentioned anything like that. You cannot deny that being obese significantly increases health conditions. Hundreds of tests have confirmed this.
Rugby players are hardly the prime example of health, going by injuries sustained. Look at the ears!

Rugby players can run miles and for hours. General fat people cant run for 10 mins.
Pro ana?! I've never mentioned anything like that. You cannot deny that being obese significantly increases health conditions. Hundreds of tests have confirmed this.

I'm not denying that. Why does nobody on this website ever actually read what I write?

I'm saying fat acceptance is at one end of the unhealthy-weight spectrum, and pro-ana is at the other.
Reply 79
Firstly, not all 'fat' people can't be bothered to get off a sofa.
Secondly, bigoted people like you are the cause of world wide problems so get a life.
Thirdly, what's wrong with not being bothered to get off a sofa. I bet you do it.

You're probably fat yourself. I play eight hours of sport a week yet still have time to get good GCSE grades. It's a lifestyle choice to be fat and a bad one at that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending