The Student Room Group

Being judged for doing an Arts degree..

Anyone else get judged for wanting to do something within the arts for a career? Literally kills me and makes me feel so uninspired and unmotivated! I'm going to be doing a photography degree but the snide comments I get from some people who are more academic really put me down! The "Oh.. good luck with that!" "How is that going to earn you money?" "Anyone can take a photo with a good camera!" ugh! I always get told to ignore it and I do, but sometimes I just overthink it and wonder if I should be going into something like that, anyone else? haha
I completely understand. I am also doing something in the arts. I understand your frustration and just feeling uninspired. What helps me carry on is remembering why I started, look back at your high school years weather it's in the dorm of pictures, school magizines and just reminisce. As for those that discourage you, Beyonce says it best, "always stay gracious, best revenge is your papers" meaning work hard to be successful and that will show them. Good luck with everything love and don't worry because everyone goes through rough patches, it's the fact that you're strong enough to get up that matters.
Original post by Chloerebeccaax
Anyone else get judged for wanting to do something within the arts for a career? Literally kills me and makes me feel so uninspired and unmotivated! I'm going to be doing a photography degree but the snide comments I get from some people who are more academic really put me down! The "Oh.. good luck with that!" "How is that going to earn you money?" "Anyone can take a photo with a good camera!" ugh! I always get told to ignore it and I do, but sometimes I just overthink it and wonder if I should be going into something like that, anyone else? haha

Quick Reply

Latest