Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is the maintenance loan going to be enough?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I'm a single mother with a 4 year old who will be starting Reception in September when I start first year. I currently work full time to cover all of my expenses. I get some help from his dad for the sitter and food etc. I've applied to SFE for the maximum maintenance loan as I may have to work part-time or perhaps not at all during uni. I'm just wondering if the maintenance loan seems reasonable if granted the maximum to be able to cover rent and utilities plus cover initial costs such as books etc.

    I'm trying to plan ahead because I'd need to find a new job if I needed to work part time and also be mindful of childminders and sitters that are Ofsted registered so that I am able to get the Childcare Grant.

    Impossible to asnwer. But you'll also be entitled to child benefit and tax credits. You may, depending on your situation, be entitled to some housing benefit. And as a full time student you're exempt from council tax.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 17, 2016
Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.