The Student Room Group

Can I take legal action against my university?

I have enrolled in a course in an university in USA and more than 50% of the students have failed due to poor teaching quality.

1) The subject coordinator did not teach. He would ask students to read the lecture notes and complete the homework questions before each lesson. Students had to sit for a graded test every week and undergo a graded group assessment task. A tutor would be there to assess the students but no lecture and minimal feedback was given.

2) Zero feedback was given to students

3) Final exam was riddled with errors and covered materials which haven't been taught before. The mid semester exam was equally difficult.

4) The subject coordinator advised students to ask homework questions on the forum but it wasn't as useful as compared to face-to face teaching. He hardly replied to enquiries. The coordinator invitied students to consult the teaching team but this was only available 30mins before each class. You can't possbily expect hundreds of students to conuslt the tutor/professor in that short 30mins

I have paid over USD3500 in exchange for such poor teaching quality and have to go through this ******** again cause I have failed. What should I do? I don't feel that I have learnt anything under this professor.

I am happy to void my grades and retake this subject under a different professor but i have to fork out additional money just to retake this module plus accomodation fees since I am an international student.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ronaldo89
I have enrolled in a course in an university in USA and more than 50% of the students have failed due to poor teaching quality.

1) The subject coordinator did not teach. He would ask students to read the lecture notes and complete the homework questions before each lesson. Students had to sit for a graded test every week and undergo a graded group assessment task. A tutor would be there to assess the students but no lecture and minimal feedback was given.

3) Final exam was riddled with errors and covered materials which haven't been taught before. The mid semester exam was equally difficult.

4) The subject coordinator advised students to ask homework questions on the forum but it wasn't as useful as compared to face-to face teaching. He hardly replied to enquiries. The coordinator invitied students to consult the teaching team but this was only available 30mins before each class. You can't possbily expect hundreds of students to conuslt the tutor/professor in that short 30mins

I have paid over USD3500 in exchange for such poor teaching quality and have to go through this ******** again cause I have failed. What should I do? I don't feel that I have learnt anything under this professor.

I am happy to void my grades and retake this subject under a different professor but i have to fork out additional money just to retake this module plus accomodation fees since I am an international student.

Since there are people in the class that passed, you don't really have a case. They'll just dismiss you as a disgruntled student that failed.
Reply 2
It's true, as long as a handful of students passed they won't do anything.
Is it just me or is $3500 seem pretty cheep for university? or am I misunderstanding something?
Taking each point in turn:

#1. That's the lecturers teaching style which didn't suit the learning style of the students who failed. Maybe would have been worth you talking to whoever is above the lecturer. At uni, lectures give an overview of that weeks topic, students are then meant to do more in depth research to gain deeper understanding.

#2. Feedback from the weekly assessments would have helped you to improve.

#3. In theory the exam shouldn't have had questions on it that weren't in what the module guide or handbook said would be taught in the module. At uni, you are expected to 'read round' the topic. You need to get a copy of the exam paper if you didn't keep the one given to you in the exam.

#4. The module leader should have replied to questions asked on the forum.

As to how you and the other students who failed deal with this is a hard one. The first thing is for all of you who failed to start the complaints procedure. Explaining each issue they have like you've done in your first post. If you have a students union, ask them for help on doing the complaint so you all get the best possible outcome. The uni isn't going to take much notice of a few students complaining but several, they will investigate. I think it's unlikely that you could take legal action against the uni. You could point out the financial implications of having to retake the module and see what the uni offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
This is a UK-based forum so the exact legal position will be difficult for us to comment on (unless we have some US-based lurkers who can advise).

I agree that with some students passing, it will be a difficult case to make. However there is strength in numbers so group action is probably the best way to get your voices heard. Your uni's regulations should be available to you in some form. In the UK they would be publicly available online but again, I don't know how this would work in the US.

If you have the equivalent of our Student Union - a department or organisation within the uni which advocates for the student body - then they would be a good place to start. They will know their way round any appeal or complaints processes and will understand the regulations which might have been breached.
it's unlikely they will care much, you are expected to work independently at university and to read more than the basics/be able to tackle new material... they also did offer you various forms of support: teacher time/peer to peer forum etc
Reply 7
Original post by ronaldo89

I know where you're coming from. It is pretty sad that you had to go through that. I'm also an international student btw.

That university is pretty stupid to not give you feedback, consider improving lectures, and give consultation time for extra help.

This one unit that I'm doing had about 40-50% failure rate last semester. For this semester that I'm doing, the lecturers and the teaching experience improved massively. This is because the university considered the feedback from the students. I think they're hoping to achieve less failure rates this sem.

You can take legal action. Perhaps email the head of your university about it. If that's too much, maybe you should go to another university?
Original post by Alisa59
I see a few of the replies saying that even a handful of students 'passed' ,you cannot do anything to take legal action.
Wow, are you guys just rude and ignorant?

We're rude for telling him the truth? It's likely that this isn't the first time this has happened so they're probably aware of this lecturer's methods. Not all modules are easy to pass. Sorry!
Reply 9
Did you not raise these issues during the course?
It's the USA so I presume the option of litigation is available to you, find a lawyer, I'm sure he will be willing to take your money and pursue your case.
Reply 11
Cheap university thats why
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
We're rude for telling him the truth? It's likely that this isn't the first time this has happened so they're probably aware of this lecturer's methods. Not all modules are easy to pass. Sorry!

Not really. But I think it's pretty mean to say that.
You never know, it could be the university's fault for having bad teaching methods and organisation.
Original post by 34908seikj
Is it just me or is $3500 seem pretty cheep for university? or am I misunderstanding something?

Sounds like that's the amount they paid for this module rather than the year/degree.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Sounds like that's the amount they paid for this module rather than the year/degree.

Lol I don't know how they didn't understand that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alisa59
Not really. But I think it's pretty mean to say that.
You never know, it could be the university's fault for having bad teaching methods and organisation.

Even then they likely wouldn't be at fault. From what I remember all a university has to do is provide a syllabus and provide assessments which test the students knowledge of that syllabus. So poor teaching quality is not in itself something that legal action can be taken for.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Even then they likely wouldn't be at fault. From what I remember all a university has to do is provide a syllabus and provide assessments which test the students knowledge of that syllabus. So poor teaching quality is not in itself something that legal action can be taken for.

Not really.
I think it's unfair for universities to not consider feedback from students. They will not improve themselves.
Otherwise, they won't be listed in the top university ranks.
Original post by Alisa59
Not really.
I think it's unfair for universities to not consider feedback from students. They will not improve themselves.

If the course information made it clear in advance that this was what would be delivered on this module then it's likely a case of buyer beware.

There's an expectation that someone spending this amount of money will properly research what they're buying.
Original post by Alisa59
Not really.

There is a difference between fair and what's legally possible and this thread isn't about what's fair and besides, the law is not grounded in morals, that's something a lot of people don't know or forget.
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
There is a difference between fair and what's legally possible and this thread isn't about what's fair and besides, the law is not grounded in morals, that's something a lot of people don't know or forget.

Ok.
If that's the case, the OP's university is not very good in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest