The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
sebbie
8b was a pig, my initial expression took the whole width of the page but i managed to factorise it to (x+y+1)/(x^2+y^2)=u^2+v^2-u+v so i then said that if x+y+1=0 then u^2+v^2-u+v must equal 0, so i presume thats right...

not sure i agree on your answers for Q2 (Q1 I can't remember what I got but 0.2444 rings a bell), i could have sworn I got a derivative equalling -4 somewhere.....

ya d2y/dx2 was -4
so u get -2x^2
Reply 41
Yeah the 2nd derivative was -4 I think. But then divide by 2!
Reply 42
ah yeah thats ok then, probably did get the same as you for Q2 then :biggrin:
Reply 43
did we actually have to state the values of p,q,r,s ?
i just wrote 32cos^6x=....
me too!!! hope we didnt!
willow162
did we actually have to state the values of p,q,r,s ?
i just wrote 32cos^6x=....

It was "in the form..." so that's fine.

My entire b & c answers were out by a factor of 2 for that question because for some reason I assumed that 2^6 = 32. :rolleyes: Probably about 5 accuracy marks total? It didn't help that I had most of Cats being performed in my right ear. I think the invigilator put in a request for the noise to be considered for our room... doubt that'll amount to much, though?

Did nobody else somehow get the circle after putting in z = x + ix as an attempt at (a)? The two z-plane lines didn't seem to be even kind of related to each other, and it seems a big coincidence that I could mess up the algebra in a way which gives the printed circle equation exactly.
Reply 46
you won't lose as much as 5, in an ideal world you would only lose 1 for a slip like that if everything else is perfect, however i expect they'll dock you 1/2 for the first one and 1 for the second..... (not sure how the ecf rules work)
Reply 47
you won't lose as much as 5, in an ideal world you would only lose 1 for a slip like that if everything else is perfect, however i expect they'll dock you 1/2 for the first one and 1 for the second..... (not sure how the ecf rules work)
Reply 48
The last two questions were horrid but the first 6 were alright. Having said that, I somehow managed to prove f(k+1)-f(k) wasnt divisible by 15 when it is. Oops. Oh well no more maths ever! It's going to be so weird, considering how much of my time further maths has taken up these last 2 years.
Reply 49
I thought it was much ok than the June 2006 paper where 65/75 is a 100 UMS. So I guess this time the grade boundaries will be higher.
Reply 50
june 06 was pretty much the same as this
it was shorter but hte questions were slightly more difficult
it will be 56/75 I think, 72/75 for 100 ums
Reply 51
Piggy
The last two questions were horrid but the first 6 were alright. Having said that, I somehow managed to prove f(k+1)-f(k) wasnt divisible by 15 when it is. Oops. Oh well no more maths ever! It's going to be so weird, considering how much of my time further maths has taken up these last 2 years.

I think you had to take a factor of 3 out of 3^4k, to make it 3(3^4k-1)
Reply 52
Yeah you're right. :smile:

How did eveyone prove the 1 marker, where they asked you to show f(n) is not divisible by 15? I wrote half of a page for that.

Overall, it was quite an okay paper. the last question part(b) took me almost 15 minutes. :frown:
Reply 53
vb07
june 06 was pretty much the same as this
it was shorter but hte questions were slightly more difficult
it will be 56/75 I think, 72/75 for 100 ums

Nope, you dont need72/75 for 100 ums.
As khaixiang has pointed out, to get 100 ums for june 06 paper, you need only 65/75. :smile:
Since these two papers are of similar diffivulty, i guess it'll be somewhere around there for this year's paper as well.
Reply 54
yea but last years paper was extremely time rushed, as in. people didnt really get an attempt at the last question - this year its the not the same
Reply 55
maybe. hopefully it wont be too high this year.

wait, you are offline now right? the grey little bullet next to your username shows it.. :p: how did you post here then? haha.. just curious.
Reply 56
oh its just the hide ur online status thing lol
Reply 57
LOL... okay..

:p:
Reply 58
Wai``Hou!
Yeah you're right. :smile:

How did eveyone prove the 1 marker, where they asked you to show f(n) is not divisible by 15? I wrote half of a page for that.

Hehe, they just asked you to prove that not all f(n) are divisible by 15... for example f(1) is and f(2) is not... so just prove by counterexample.
Reply 59
Haha. it was that easy???

how was your STEP paper today??

Latest