The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Is age 'just a number' in uni accommodation?

Hey guys,
So I’m starting my undergraduate year in September and I just wanted to ask, when it comes to uni accommodation, is age group a big factor? I’m turning 21 soon so I’ll be considered as a ‘mature student’ but I didn’t choose mature student housing, I chose normal residences (self-catering) as my top3. But I guess now, I’m a bit worried that it might be awkward with my flat mates because of my age even though I’m pretty easygoing and I genuinely like the residences I chose.
Thanks x
You're like 2-3 years older than your peers. No one will even notice unless you mention it.

Frankly your biggest danger is being bored of 18 year olds.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
HAHAHAHAHAHA I post this picture in another thread and this thread appears:

Don't see why it would be awkward for flatmates really, it's 3 years difference and you are all adults. Not like as if you are from a different generation so act completely differently.
No one will notice unless you act 'old.' Meaning they'll all be loving life and wanting to get drunk a lot, and if you join right in with them it doesn't matter how old you are. 2/3 years is nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by idka
Hey guys,
So I’m starting my undergraduate year in September and I just wanted to ask, when it comes to uni accommodation, is age group a big factor? I’m turning 21 soon so I’ll be considered as a ‘mature student’ but I didn’t choose mature student housing, I chose normal residences (self-catering) as my top3. But I guess now, I’m a bit worried that it might be awkward with my flat mates because of my age even though I’m pretty easygoing and I genuinely like the residences I chose.
Thanks x

I'm in my late 20s, and I think there's very little that's different between a 19yo and a 21yo (dependent on life experiences, of course). That's been my experience, having siblings who are 21 and slightly above who've just graduated, but also being back in college with 18-21 yos for the past two years.

I still sort of see 18/19/20 year olds as 'kids'. That's not intended to be patronising - it's just facial feature wise everyone under 22/23 still have baby faces when I look at them compared to people who are 25+. Unless you tell them, no one will know! :smile:

I remember trying to sit A-Levels again at 20/21, and worrying about it at the time, and I can say with the benefit of hindsight that being 21 is really insignificant to other 18yos. One's life experiences and interests and general way of living between 18 and 21 will be quite similar, if generalising.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by idka
Hey guys,
Thanks x

21 is no problem whatsoever. In my halls we had plenty of Erasmus students who were 21 and they fitted in perfectly fine. In uni no one really cares about your age in my experience. One guy was in his first year and was 24 and he didn't have any problems either. As long as you're friendly to everyone and have an open mind, everyone will will be the same to you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending