The Student Room Group

i need advice on my application

I've just started looking into universities and have finally finalized my final universities that i am interested in.
I have also created an account on The Common Application but i dont really understand how it works. Specially the part where they ask you to give a 250 mark essay? is this essay very important?.
I am on my last year of high school and my school haven't gone through with us how the application process works and there are some of my other friends who go to another school and they have already started their application.
Any advise would mean a lot to me.
Original post by Sunethra
I've just started looking into universities and have finally finalized my final universities that i am interested in.
I have also created an account on The Common Application but i dont really understand how it works. Specially the part where they ask you to give a 250 mark essay? is this essay very important?.
I am on my last year of high school and my school haven't gone through with us how the application process works and there are some of my other friends who go to another school and they have already started their application.

I can't answer your question but you might not get many answers here as it is mainly aimed at people studying in the uk getting admitted via UCAS by all means ask someone might know but I'd ask in other places as well just a heads up if you don't get many answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jonathanemptage
I can't answer your question but you might not get many answers here as it is mainly aimed at people studying in the uk getting admitted via UCAS by all means ask someone might know but I'd ask in other places as well just a heads up if you don't get many answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've really been searching for some answers but I've not got any that satisfied me and cleared my doubts. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm assuming you're talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Application which is for entry to USA universities.

I'm going to move your thread to the Studying in North America forum where it is more likely to be seen by other applicants to USA universities.
This forum (Applications and UCAS ) is focused on advising people over applications to UK universities via UCAS.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
I'm assuming you're talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Application which is for entry to USA universities.

I'm going to move your thread to the Studying in North America forum where it is more likely to be seen by other applicants to USA universities.
This forum (Applications and UCAS ) is focused on advising people over applications to UK universities via UCAS.

This site was advised by someone i know. USA is not the only country i am interested in. my main hopes are to get into a UK university but this common application is just so that i can apply to some universities that i am interested in the US (which are just very few)

However my main target is to the United Kingdom and Germany.
This site was advised by someone i know. USA is not the only country i am interested in. my main hopes are to get into a UK university but this common application is just so that i can apply to some universities that i am interested in the US (which are just very few)

However my main target is to the United Kingdom and Germany.

TSR offers advice for a whole range of things - but the Common Application is mainly used for US applications and therefore the people using our Studying in North America area of TSR are most likely to be able to help you with it.

For UK universities you'll need to apply via UCAS - The Common Application portal isn't used by UK universities.

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/international-undergraduate-guide-applicants.pdf is an introduction

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track is where you can start your application.

The Applications and UCAS area of TSR can help you with questions around UCAS or UK universities

You basically write the essay, and submit it with your application. For the most part, these essays helps them identify what type of person you are, as well as an ability to write succinctly (not all people can do this). Have you learned from a lesson in the past? What sort of life experiences made you who you are? In some cases, the school might not have an interview session, and the essay will help them see if you would fit in amongst the other students (typically more so for the smaller colleges).

Student403 will have a more up to date point of view than me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ
TSR offers advice for a whole range of things - but the Common Application is mainly used for US applications and therefore the people using our Studying in North America area of TSR are most likely to be able to help you with it.

For UK universities you'll need to apply via UCAS - The Common Application portal isn't used by UK universities.

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/international-undergraduate-guide-applicants.pdf is an introduction

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track is where you can start your application.

The Applications and UCAS area of TSR can help you with questions around UCAS or UK universities

Yes it is. You could apply to the following this year via the Common App (though this is aimed at American applicants)

Spoiler

Original post by zombiejon
You basically write the essay, and submit it with your application. For the most part, these essays helps them identify what type of person you are, as well as an ability to write succinctly (not all people can do this). Have you learned from a lesson in the past? What sort of life experiences made you who you are? In some cases, the school might not have an interview session, and the essay will help them see if you would fit in amongst the other students (typically more so for the smaller colleges).

Student403 will have a more up to date point of view than me.

Thanks for the tag.

@Sunethra don't worry about those people. Assuming you are applying for admission starting in Fall 2017, you don't need to have started your application. It would be a good idea to look at it over this summer. Jon's covered the content. The key is to make it personal and meaningful to you, so they have insight in to whether you would be a good fit for their college.
Original post by Student403
Yes it is. You could apply to the following this year via the Common App (though this is aimed at American applicants)

Spoiler

Thanks for the tag.

@Sunethra don't worry about those people. Assuming you are applying for admission starting in Fall 2017, you don't need to have started your application. It would be a good idea to look at it over this summer. Jon's covered the content. The key is to make it personal and meaningful to you, so they have insight in to whether you would be a good fit for their college.

For full time undergraduate courses that would break the conditions of the UCAS contract. UCAS forbid universities accepting applications through other routes - even direct applications aren't allowed in most circumstances. Can you see what courses they're offering?
Original post by PQ
For full time undergraduate courses that would break the conditions of the UCAS contract. UCAS forbid universities accepting applications through other routes - even direct applications aren't allowed in most circumstances. Can you see what courses they're offering?

From what I can see you can apply to any full time UG courses offered

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/applying-to-kings.aspx

Website says it's for North Americans
From what I can see you can apply to any full time UG courses offered

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/applying-to-kings.aspx

Website says it's for North Americans

Blimey. I stand corrected then:smile:

Does the essay on common app work in a similar way to the UCAS PS? One essay for all choices?
Original post by PQ
Blimey. I stand corrected then:smile:

Does the essay on common app work in a similar way to the UCAS PS? One essay for all choices?

From what I can see there's definitely a personal statement of similar length to the UK one. I can't tell if the Common App essay (one you do generally (still personal) for your Universities in the US) is still required.

Spoiler

From what I can see there's definitely a personal statement of similar length to the UK one. I can't tell if the Common App essay (one you do generally (still personal) for your Universities in the US) is still required.

Spoiler

Just went to check I wasn't imagining UCAS exclusivity contract: https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/our-service-providers-and-members
"adhere to the UCAS Applications Recruitment Policy recruiting exclusively through UCAS for all full-time programmes of study culminating in an academic award at first degree or other undergraduate level"

These handful of universities must have negotiated an agreement with UCAS :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending