The Student Room Group

ETH zurich

I'm an indian student and I want to apply for an engineering course at ETH Zurich. I dont understand German AT ALL and I want to know if getting into ETH is worth the effort i'll have to put in to learn the language. Also, how much time does it take to be good enough at german to understand what's going on in class? And do i just have to get a C1 level certificate or do i need to take an extra course to learn scientific terms in german? Is it better to just enroll at a college in an english-speaking country? I'd really appreciate some help
Original post by NehaKalia
I'm an indian student and I want to apply for an engineering course at ETH Zurich. I dont understand German AT ALL and I want to know if getting into ETH is worth the effort i'll have to put in to learn the language. Also, how much time does it take to be good enough at german to understand what's going on in class? And do i just have to get a C1 level certificate or do i need to take an extra course to learn scientific terms in german? Is it better to just enroll at a college in an english-speaking country? I'd really appreciate some help

ETH Zurich is a good university, but not so good that it's worth spending three years of your life (minimum) learning German. You don't just need to speak German, you need to document your proficiency by taking one of the following exams:

Goethe-Zertifikat C1 with minimum rating 'gut'
Goethe-Zertifikat C2, ZOP, KDS und GDS
TestDaF with minimum level 4 in all exam sections
Österreichisches Sprachdiplom ÖSD - C1 Oberstufe Deutsch with minimum rating "gut bestanden"

This is the kind of level you need to reach.

Personally if I were you, I would just study in English. There are some Engineering degrees in Germany that are taught in English, they will be much cheaper than studying in the UK or US. Click here:
https://www.study-in.de/en/plan-your-studies/find-programme-and-university/?a=result&q=&degree=24&subjects%5B56%5D=56&courselanguage=2&locations=&admissionsemester=&sort=name&page=1

Quick Reply