Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Keeping up a relationship after going off to uni

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

My boyfriend and I have been together for 25 months now, we're in the same college but are going to different universities - he to Cardiff and me to Warwick/Kent. I'm not ready to break up yet since the love is still really strong, and since this has been a half long distance relationship (he is Chinese and goes back to Hong Kong for summer) I'm pretty accustomed to not seeing him for long periods of time. But university is different. We'll both meet new people of course, and I want him to enjoy himself without any limits and he wants the same for me. Ideally I want to stay with him, so we agreed to see how it goes after we leave for uni. It would be very unrealistic that we ever see each other during the semester because of distance and cost. We also tend to argue over little things but seeing each other makes everything okay - we won't have this when we go to university.

So my questions are - is it realistic that we'll stay together during uni? And does anyone know how hard it is to maintain a relationship with someone in a different uni? :s

I wouldn't really know, but here's something to consider:

A decade ago it would've been extremely harder to do this than it is now a days.

LDR's work, and the relationship you describe could work. Don't let the naysayers convince you otherwise.

However, it will be difficult. Time, effort, commitment, trust, honesty and communication is of the up-most important here. If you can work through this challenge, I'm pretty sure you could work through whatever else life throws at you.

My boyfriend and I managed 3 years at different unis, and we've now been living together for a year.

It wasn't all plain sailing, and had its difficult times. But there are things that make it easier - and as someone has already said, LDRs are easier today than they ever have been. Both transport and communication wise.

That said, not all work out. I will always say LDRs are worth the attempt, but there is no shame if it doesn't work out.

It's unlikely, but some people do beat the odds.

Incidentally, I have a few friends who broke up when they went to university but are now back together since graduation, so even if it doesn't "survive" university, it doesn't mean it is dead and burried.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.