Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Outstanding Fees

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

So I left my accommodation and handed in the keys around the end of January due to depression and unhappiness on my previous course and I have had a phone call from the financial office at the university today - trying to charge me £4,688.50 for accommodation fees. Originally before I left, a financial officer told me that SFE give you an extra year of funding in case you decided to take a gap year etc.. and that my current fees would be taken out of that once I return. Today to my frustration I was told that wasn't an option?! So essentially I have been misled, leaving with the knowledge that I'd be able to be charged the extra once I finish my course altogether. Now I'm told I can't even go back and start my new course without paying the full amount first, which nobody mentioned to me before leaving.

SFE do give you a gift year in case of dropping out, however this isn't fees. This is accommodation payment which they are within their right to ask you for...Fees won't be taken out from other years, it's all worked out on a year by year basis

Yeah you will have signed a contract to pay for your accommodation - this is completely separate to your fee loan.

The extra year is in case you decide to drop out and change courses or fail a year and need to retake, but isn't going to pay off your debts for you.

Unless you can get them to be lenient on the grounds of mitigating circumstances, you owe them the money I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol 'trying to charge you'... you stayed in their accommodation... just because you didn't pay upfront doesn't meant you don't pay at all

student finance will fund a spare year for you but you don't get to just put off your debts, what if you didn't return?

you signed up to pay for a year so you have to pay for a year
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
What were/are your predicted grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.