The Student Room Group

Can I get a 2.1

Hey guys
I was hoping you could help me figure out what I'll need to get in my modules to receive a 2.1 degree.

2nd year: I got 59, which is worth 25% of my degree.
In my dissertation project: I got 60, this is also worth 25% of my degree.

So this means 3rd year modules are worth 50% of the final degree.
In one module I have 54.

And I have 3 exams to sit in August.
What will I need to get in the remaining three modules to get a 2.1?
All modules are equally weighted.

Also I know this is way out of reach, but could you also show me what I'd need to get in my modules to get an overall 1st? Is this even possible with the marks I've already got?

Thank you in advance!
Original post by alyssa2
Hey guys
I was hoping you could help me figure out what I'll need to get in my modules to receive a 2.1 degree.

2nd year: I got 59, which is worth 25% of my degree.
In my dissertation project: I got 60, this is also worth 25% of my degree.

So this means 3rd year modules are worth 50% of the final degree.
In one module I have 54.

And I have 3 exams to sit in August.
What will I need to get in the remaining three modules to get a 2.1?
All modules are equally weighted.

Also I know this is way out of reach, but could you also show me what I'd need to get in my modules to get an overall 1st? Is this even possible with the marks I've already got?

Thank you in advance!

You currently have 59*0.25 + 60*0.25 + 54*0.125 = 14.75 + 15 + 6.75 = 36.5

You need 60% overall and have 37.5% of your degree left. To get 60% you need 60-36.5 = 23.5% from this 37.5%

Therefore you need to get 23.5/37.5 *100 = 63% average from your remaining 3 modules to achieve the 60% for a 2:1.

If you wanted a 1st you'd need 70% which is 33.5/37.5*100 = ~89% in each module.

I really hope your degree subject isn't maths.
My back of the fag packet calc says 63% if the round up otherwise 64%. Syre someone will correct me....
You should read your uni exam rules as there are usually some importnat variations when it comes to close grades.
You would need 90% + for a first.

Quick Reply

Latest