The Student Room Group

CHEM5 structure questions

Would you be marked down for saying 'strong forces of electrostatic attraction'?

I've saw electrostatic attraction only being mentioned once in a mark scheme so i'm not too sure about this..
no it's the same thing i would say! stick with what it says there though
Can anyone explain this to me in simple terms? im not sure o 100% understand it

Pt | Fe2+(aq), Fe3+(aq) || BrO3–(aq), Br2(aq) | Pt

(iii) Deduce what change in the concentration of Fe3+(aq) would cause an increase inthe e.m.f. of the cell. Explain your answer.
Reply 3
Original post by hopingmedicinae
Can anyone explain this to me in simple terms? im not sure o 100% understand it

Pt | Fe2+(aq), Fe3+(aq) || BrO3–(aq), Br2(aq) | Pt

(iii) Deduce what change in the concentration of Fe3+(aq) would cause an increase inthe e.m.f. of the cell. Explain your answer.

E cell = E right - E left

= E (BrO3-/Br2) - E (Fe3+/Fe2+)

so need to decrease the value of the electrode potential of the Fe3+/Fe2+ half cell

Fe3+ + e- <=> Fe2+

so if the concentration of Fe3+ is decreased the above equilibrium moves to the left and E Fe3+/Fe2+ will decrease
Original post by GDN

= E (BrO3-/Br2) - E (Fe3+/Fe2+)

so need to decrease the value of the electrode potential of the Fe3+/Fe2+ half cell

Fe3+ + e- <=> Fe2+

so if the concentration of Fe3+ is decreased the above equilibrium moves to the left and E Fe3+/Fe2+ will decrease

thanks!

So you know when it says something is the negative electrode, is that where reduction takes place? e.g

Zn2+ + 2e– Zn E = –0.76 V
MnO2 + H2O + e– MnO(OH) + OH–

The E cell is 1.60, it's asking me to figure out E value of second equation, so is first one oxidation or reduction?

Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by hopingmedicinae
thanks!

So you know when it says something is the negative electrode, is that where reduction takes place? e.g

Zn2+ + 2e– Zn E = –0.76 V
MnO2 + H2O + e– MnO(OH) + OH–

The E cell is 1.60, it's asking me to figure out E value of second equation, so is first one oxidation or reduction?

Thanks!

When you write

by convention the more positive half cell is E right

so in this question E left is -0.76

Quick Reply

Latest