The Student Room Group

MEI S3 2016 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notanooblol
No worries. I'm glad it went well for us both :smile:

Guys for iv sorry but the mean should be -5 as it was per 12middle and per final
Original post by Rodneykimster
Guys for iv sorry but the mean should be -5 as it was per 12middle and per final

There is nothing to be sorry about. We are perfectly correct. You obviously don't have the intelligence to realise that our answers will be the same using numerous methods, one of which is our method that appears on the mark scheme every single time. Your method with using the mean as -5 is unnecessary and easier to slip up on. Next time, think before you argue with what the mean SHOULD be with some superior mathematicians.
There is nothing to be sorry about. We are perfectly correct. You obviously don't have the intelligence to realise that our answers will be the same using numerous methods, one of which is our method that appears on the mark scheme every single time. Your method with using the mean as -5 is unnecessary and easier to slip up on. Next time, think before you argue with what the mean SHOULD be with some superior mathematicians.

Very funny mate.
It is not really the same method as with my method you get 0.43792 as the probability
Very funny mate.
It is not really the same method as with my method you get 0.43792 as the probability

Then you conducted your method incorrectly
Then you conducted your method incorrectly

We dont know yet^^
We dont know yet^^

I'm going to give you the information that we were given and then explain to you why an answer below 0.5 is not possible here. In addition I'd like to point out that you may lose marks for overspecification, you cannot find the fifth decimal place from the tables and it is not a valid point saying "my calculator can do it though".

We were given that the mean for the middle questions was 220. We were given also that the mean for the end questions was 250. I do not have to even look at the standard deviations to prove you wrong. The questions asked the probability of the mean for the middle questions being at least 25 less than the end questions. We can see by doing 250-220 to find that the mean=30. 30 is greater than 25 and so the answer will be at least 0.5.

You need to accept failure.
I'm going to give you the information that we were given and then explain to you why an answer below 0.5 is not possible here. In addition I'd like to point out that you may lose marks for overspecification, you cannot find the fifth decimal place from the tables and it is not a valid point saying "my calculator can do it though".

We were given that the mean for the middle questions was 220. We were given also that the mean for the end questions was 250. I do not have to even look at the standard deviations to prove you wrong. The questions asked the probability of the mean for the middle questions being at least 25 less than the end questions. We can see by doing 250-220 to find that the mean=30. 30 is greater than 25 and so the answer will be at least 0.5.

You need to accept failure.

chill out
Original post by rubycstoddart
chill out

I'm perfectly calm.
Well i dont know whether you are clever enough to know about the interpolation to get the 5th decimal place from the table firstly. Secondly look at the question precisely... it is said p (m>f-25) not the weird stuff that you are on about.
Well i dont know whether you are clever enough to know about the interpolation to get the 5th decimal place from the table firstly. Secondly look at the question precisely... it is said p (m>f-25) not the weird stuff that you are on about.

Knowing about it wouldn't make one clever. Knowing about it would make one knowledgeable. I know that a 5th decimal place does not appear on the mark schemes since interpolating to the 5th decimal place is considered to be too inaccurate. I have looked at the question precisely, I've done all the past papers, achieving A*s in every single one. p(m<f-25) would be correct.
Knowing about it wouldn't make one clever. Knowing about it would make one knowledgeable. I know that a 5th decimal place does not appear on the mark schemes since interpolating to the 5th decimal place is considered to be too inaccurate. I have looked at the question precisely, I've done all the past papers, achieving A*s in every single one. p(m<f-25) would be correct.

Yu still clearly havent looked at it correctly and you just changed your whole argument. You will clearly loose your a* for this paper^^. It is siad m is at least f-25 which means m>f-25. Stop being cocky and get refference from old mark schemes which is not the mark scheme for this paper buddy.
Yu still clearly havent looked at it correctly and you just changed your whole argument. You will clearly loose your a* for this paper^^. It is siad m is at least f-25 which means m>f-25. Stop being cocky and get refference from old mark schemes which is not the mark scheme for this paper buddy.

I haven't altered my argument at all, I have merely corrected yours. I'm sorry but you are not correct for this question. You are clearly too stubborn to accept this.
Guys just wondering, for the first question when they asked you about mean times, would you do (for first times) 4 times mean and then 4 times var, and then 1/4 times mean and 1/16 times var???
Yep that's exactly what you do for the first part 😊
Reply 34
does anyone happen to have an official markscheme for this, perhaps they might have been given one by teachers?
Original post by bob6969
does anyone happen to have an official markscheme for this, perhaps they might have been given one by teachers?

Hi please see attached. Hope this helps.
Reply 36
Original post by Mathathonica
Hi please see attached. Hope this helps.
Thankyou!!
guys I'm confused with normal distribution values. usually the ms givers standardised values to 4dp and then finds it but even if i use a graphical calculator to find the normal value its always slightly different to the MS. are there any rules on what they want us to do with this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending