The Student Room Group

good enough for cambridge?

are these ums scores good enough for maths at cambridge?
c1-100
c2-100
s1-94
fp1-94
m1-94
d1-85

Scroll to see replies

No, you need at least 100 UMS in all math modules. (duh)
Original post by Marshall Taylor
No, you need at least 100 UMS in all math modules. (duh)

Oh I see. My dreams crushed then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If you want to go to Cambridge, then apply for it!
It's better to apply and have a chance rather than not applying at all.
Original post by phoebeisgreat
c1-100
c2-100
s1-94
fp1-94
m1-94
d1-85

Ask not whether you are good enough for Cambridge, but whether Cambridge is good enough for you. It breaks my heart to see people judging their "value" by whether a certain university would offer them a place. You are good enough, full stop.
Oh I see. My dreams crushed then

Posted from TSR Mobile

(sarcasm)
c1-100
c2-100
s1-94
fp1-94
m1-94
d1-85

Yes, they are perfectly fine.
They are below average for a successful candidate but if you were to ignore D1 then they are good so they will probably excuse that partially and you'd still have a good chance. They are definitely good enough for you to be worth applying.
Original post by Ewanclementson
They are below average for a successful candidate but if you were to ignore D1 then they are good so they will probably excuse that partially and you'd still have a good chance. They are definitely good enough for you to be worth applying.

You think so?? These are my potential scores based on how i found the tests, so they might change...what would you say I would need to be with a good chance of getting an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Platopus
Ask not whether you are good enough for Cambridge, but whether Cambridge is good enough for you. It breaks my heart to see people judging their "value" by whether a certain university would offer them a place. You are good enough, full stop.

Best reply ever! :h:
Original post by sophiehaddad
Best reply ever! :h:

Aww thanks. Good luck with it. But remember to keep work and grades in perspective too x
Reply 11
For reference; A guy in my school (Class on 2015) got into Cambridge for Computer Science and Mathemarics (not even a full on mathmo). His IGCSE's were of course all A*'s with 96 UMS average. At As (of which he did 6) he got all A's at again 96 UMS average (598/600 for maths and further maths at As; full marks in Physics and Computing). In A2 he got his interview and offer (A*A*A with 1 1 in STEP II III). Results were 4A*'s and an A (because he self taught the rest of Exonomics a level for fun) with 95 UMS and 1 in STEP I and III and 3 in STEP II.
I would say, having sat STEP 1 this year, that it is the biggest challenge. 2 and 3 are the worst. I am not saying you're not good enough, anyone is if they work like there's nothing more to life (and/or if they are a genius), but it is worth overthinking what you want you university experience to be. The workload in Cambridge especially for maths is astounding, sleep is a unrecommende day option according to the guy mentioned above (he feels stupid there). I was often asked why I didn't go for Oxford or Imperial, that's because my long term plan is to ease into Uni maths and eventually get a post grad masters in Oxford (or Imperial). That's just me though.
Hope the example helps
P.S. I got 90 UMS in maths and further at As along with 3 more A's. Applied to UCL, Bath, Durham, Bristol and St Andrews (the last 3 being my insurances/least likely choices) and guess what? Only UCL and Bath sent me offers (unis with highest grade requirements of my selection); only reason my teachers came up with is they thought I would reject them anyway. So don't underestimate yourself.
Be smart about your choices.
You think so?? These are my potential scores based on how i found the tests, so they might change...what would you say I would need to be with a good chance of getting an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd want to be above 95% average for a good chance and also keep your other subject UMS high if possible. I felt some of mine went worse than they did but I got 100,100,100,100,100,100,98,97,97,93 in my maths modules at AS 300/300 in physics and 284/300 in chemistry and got an offer.
Original post by Platopus

such a lovely response. :smile:
Better than mine and I got an offer.
Original post by 16Characters....
Better than mine and I got an offer.

have you got an offer for maths?
have you got an offer for maths?

Yes.
Yes.

wow congrats!!! what were your ums scores if you dont mind me asking?
wow congrats!!! what were your ums scores if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks.

C2 - 100
M1 - 98
S1 - 96
FP1 - 94
C1 - 91
S2 - 87

Ave - 94.3%

Your average is 94.5% and D1 is clearly anomalous which I'm sure they will take note of.

Best of luck.
Thanks.

C2 - 100
M1 - 98
S1 - 96
FP1 - 94
C1 - 91
S2 - 87

Ave - 94.3%

Your average is 94.5% and D1 is clearly anomalous which I'm sure they will take note of.

Best of luck.

wow thank you! i hope you meet your offer!

Quick Reply

Latest