The Student Room Group

Could this get me scholarship in uni?

Hi,

I'm in year 12 and will be applying to american university based abroad because they are really generous about financial support to international students.

I'm just going to list some things that I've done so far, and please give me some advice on how I could improve my common app/ personal statement or what I could do better to secure me a place in my dream uni with financial support.

GCSE grades: 10A* and 1A

(Maths, Further Maths, Core Science, Add. Science, Art, DT, Geography, French, English Language, English Literature and ICT)

AS grades: not too confident as all the examboards I came across were horrible this year...

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths (C3 and C4 where we can get A*s this year), Biology and Economics

- worst AS grade prediction: AABB
-best AS grade prediction: AAAA*

Extra:
Violin Grade 5
Orchestra and Senior strings
EPQ (currently working on it)
DofE (currently doing Gold)
12 hours of Community and Service (when I was in american school)
Work Experience in banks
Year 11 and 13 prefect
Founder and organiser of Art magazine
Taking part in school English Literature Magazine
DELF certificate
Year 11 form rep
Won art competition (been on newspaper)
Bio Olympiad
Student Investor
Have more than 10-20 awards in total from year 8 to 12

*Working on ACT during summer

I know some of these won't even matter whether I include it or not but I tried to list everything I could.

I'm also applying to my dream uni as early decision, hoping I could have at least 0.000000001% better chance of getting accepted.

I wanted to study Economics in Uni, but like I've written above, I took Economics THIS year and I find it extremely difficult to revise although I understand the basic concepts.
Now, Im considering either Bio or Maths route, but I'll need to see my AS grades.

I'm really desperate for an acceptance letter

Do you have any other ideas that I could perhaps do during summer (apart from Summer camps abroad because we aren't that rich lol) ?

Your help is greatly greatly appreciated!!!
Original post by liemluji
Hi,

I'm in year 12 and will be applying to american university based abroad because they are really generous about financial support to international students.

I'm just going to list some things that I've done so far, and please give me some advice on how I could improve my common app/ personal statement or what I could do better to secure me a place in my dream uni with financial support.

GCSE grades: 10A* and 1A

(Maths, Further Maths, Core Science, Add. Science, Art, DT, Geography, French, English Language, English Literature and ICT)

AS grades: not too confident as all the examboards I came across were horrible this year...

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths (C3 and C4 where we can get A*s this year), Biology and Economics

- worst AS grade prediction: AABB
-best AS grade prediction: AAAA*

Extra:
Violin Grade 5
Orchestra and Senior strings
EPQ (currently working on it)
DofE (currently doing Gold)
12 hours of Community and Service (when I was in american school)
Work Experience in banks
Year 11 and 13 prefect
Founder and organiser of Art magazine
Taking part in school English Literature Magazine
DELF certificate
Year 11 form rep
Won art competition (been on newspaper)
Bio Olympiad
Student Investor
Have more than 10-20 awards in total from year 8 to 12

*Working on ACT during summer

I know some of these won't even matter whether I include it or not but I tried to list everything I could.

I'm also applying to my dream uni as early decision, hoping I could have at least 0.000000001% better chance of getting accepted.

I wanted to study Economics in Uni, but like I've written above, I took Economics THIS year and I find it extremely difficult to revise although I understand the basic concepts.
Now, Im considering either Bio or Maths route, but I'll need to see my AS grades.

I'm really desperate for an acceptance letter

Do you have any other ideas that I could perhaps do during summer (apart from Summer camps abroad because we aren't that rich lol) ?

Your help is greatly greatly appreciated!!!

At the end of the day it is your grades that really matter, and these things are just an additional extra so don't lose sight of your priorities or commit yourself to too many things. Realistically you've done a lot of extra activities but whether you have done enough really depends what course you actually want to do. Deciding on a course will allow you to focus in and get more experience in that particular area, as currently your list is very broad. To get scholarships you need to prove that you are really passionate about that particular subject area. Also you need to make sure that any extra activities are all recent (last 2-3 years maximum).

How about tutoring some younger kids? Also a lot of U.S. universities offer MOOC's, you could show extra interest in that particular uni by taking one of those, plus you get the experience of university-level teaching. Attending some sort of conference or workshop in the area you're interested in studying could be helpful too. Of course there is no point in doing these things if you are simply listing them, it is much better to write in detail about 2 or 3 things and really explain why this is useful than listing awards from years ago. PS wise, the requirements will be very different to UCAS so be sure to thoroughly read each university's guidance for what they want from applicants and make sure that you are meeting every aim. Most require an essay rather than a personal statement but, from those I've looked at, they are very thorough in their advice (check our Harvard's advice for an example).
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte49
At the end of the day it is your grades that really matter, and these things are just an additional extra so don't lose sight of your priorities or commit yourself to too many things. Realistically you've done a lot of extra activities but whether you have done enough really depends what course you actually want to do. Deciding on a course will allow you to focus in and get more experience in that particular area, as currently your list is very broad. To get scholarships you need to prove that you are really passionate about that particular subject area. Also you need to make sure that any extra activities are all recent (last 2-3 years maximum).

How about tutoring some younger kids? Also a lot of U.S. universities offer MOOC's, you could show extra interest in that particular uni by taking one of those, plus you get the experience of university-level teaching. Attending some sort of conference or workshop in the area you're interested in studying could be helpful too. Of course there is no point in doing these things if you are simply listing them, it is much better to write in detail about 2 or 3 things and really explain why this is useful than listing awards from years ago. PS wise, the requirements will be very different to UCAS so be sure to thoroughly read each university's guidance for what they want from applicants and make sure that you are meeting every aim. Most require an essay rather than a personal statement but, from those I've looked at, they are very thorough in their advice (check our Harvard's advice for an example).

Thank you! It really helped me a lot :smile: I'll take your advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending