The Student Room Group

Rank these languages in order of easiest to learn to hardest

French, Spanish, German, Russian, Turkish, Italian, Greek, Finnish
Linguistically; Finnish or Greek, then Russian, then German or French, Italian, Turkish and Spanish as the easiest.
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Linguistically; Finnish or Greek, then Russian, then German or French, Italian, Turkish and Spanish as the easiest.

You'd put Turkish as the second easiest?

Grammatically, Turkish is very hard. "I READ YOU A BOOK" is basically "I YOU A BOOK READ" in Turkish. So confusing.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
French, Spanish, German, Russian, Turkish, Italian, Greek, Finnish

French, German, Spanish, Italian, Turkish, Greek, Finnish. (I've never spoken the last three so I put them last lmao)
Spanish
French
Italian
German
Russian
Turkish
Greek
Finnish

Tried learning Finnish, nearly died of knotted tongue. If anyone wants to teach me though I'm more than willing to learn over summer :biggrin:
Reply 5
Russian Turkish Greek Finnish German Spanish French Italian
Out of those I've only learnt German, French, a tiny bit of Italian and Ancient Greek (I don't know if you are referring to modern or ancient greek).

I find German the easiest then French. I like Ancient Greek but I don't think its easy. I've only had a few lessons of Italian and it seems very interesting but I don't know how difficult it would be.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
You'd put Turkish as the second easiest?

Grammatically, Turkish is very hard. "I READ YOU A BOOK" is basically "I YOU A BOOK READ" in Turkish. So confusing.

It's very easy phonetically. Grammatically it's not so difficult.
Reply 8
How can you order them unless you tried to learn all 8?!
Original post by M14B
How can you order them unless you tried to learn all 8?!

To be fair, I am learning most of them. :biggrin: Albeit only on Duolingo, but the ones I enjoy most I will begin formal training on in my spare time.
Weird that people think Italian is harder than French. It absolutely isn't. Ranked from easiest to hardest (based on the assumption you're a native English speaker and don't know any other languages):

Spanish
Italian
French
German
Russian / Greek
Turkish
Finnish

Quick Reply

Latest