The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Economics Unit 3 (ECON3) 20th June 2016 OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soLit
Good luck everyone .. I am attempting this exam with one days revision .. and I need an A

Pray for me

What was your UMS last year? I can average an A still even if I get C's in both tests this year :colonhash:
Original post by Jamyes
honestly not feeling too great about it but im going through some model past papers, the bit i find tricky is sometimes understanding what the question is asking as the way its phrased sometimes isn't so straight forward. im also not good at maths so i usually get 2 or 3/5 in the first question which a silly way to drop marks :frown:

where did you find the model papers?
Original post by soLit
Good luck everyone .. I am attempting this exam with one days revision .. and I need an A

Pray for me

The feeling is mutual fml😂😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone else struggle to keep their answers purely micro? I'm just planning a question on the costs and benefits of free movement of labour within the EU and I can't think of enough to say without it getting to macro-y???!
What did everyone get last year and what are you all hoping for this year ?:smile:

Got 162 ums and need an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisyyharris
does anyone else struggle to keep their answers purely micro? I'm just planning a question on the costs and benefits of free movement of labour within the EU and I can't think of enough to say without it getting to macro-y???!

Its synoptic, so they pretty much want you to have some macro references in there, if possible.
Reply 126
I thought the June 15 and June 14 papers were both horrendous... let's hope they have given up this year and given us an easy one :frown:
Reply 127
Original post by 16characterlimit
What was your UMS last year? I can average an A still even if I get C's in both tests this year :colonhash:

Oh lol .. Like an A on the dot ...

LOL

I resat econ 1 and 2, so I am praying I have more UMS from that
Can anyone explain some evaluation points for perfect competition? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a D last year but I resat unit 1 so I'm hoping to do better in unit 3 & 4. Would it be possible for me to get a B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
is it just me or does anyone feel under prepared? been revising this for weeks and still feel like im missing somethng
‘Cappuccino or Pot of Tea: £1.19 before 12 noon; £1.39 during lunch time (12–2.30 pm), and only 99p after 2.30 pm.’
Explain how such a pricing strategy is influenced by price elasticities of demand, revenues and costs. - June 2014

what's the relevance of costs with price discrimination? :/
Reply 132
Original post by meimaths123
is it just me or does anyone feel under prepared? been revising this for weeks and still feel like im missing somethng

i feel like i know nothing about economics like im under serious pressure at the moment!!!!!
Guys what do you think is most likely to come up so I could quickly brush up on. I guess CBA is one (but I will avoid this question).
Original post by meimaths123

yep 100% :frown: I've gone over my notes so many times and I still feel like I know nothing!
Original post by Kitkat5
‘Cappuccino or Pot of Tea: £1.19 before 12 noon; £1.39 during lunch time (12–2.30 pm), and only 99p after 2.30 pm.’
Explain how such a pricing strategy is influenced by price elasticities of demand, revenues and costs. - June 2014

what....
Reply 136
Original post by Kitkat5

Is this third degree price discrimination? when the market is segmented by PED?

Or is it second degree as there are high fixed costs in production, and so they discount at different times...
Reply 137
Original post by Kitkat5

firstly PD can be done because of differing elasticities of demand - lunch time = inelastic (fewer alternatives etc) and afternoon is elastic (more time etc)

The coffee shop will make more revenue by price discriminating because the inelastic demand will see an increase in revenue which makes up for not making as much in say the afternoon when demand is elastic (the idea that they could potentially make a loss without the lunchtime surplus is the influence of the pricing strategy)

in terms of costs, price discrimination allows a firm to spread costs more evenly among consumers because output would be higher and less waste is produced e.g. they would have to chuck away coffee if elastic group were charged high prices because they have no reason to pay (alternatives etc)

hope that helps!
Reply 138
Original post by daisyyharris
yep 100% :frown: I've gone over my notes so many times and I still feel like I know nothing!

im in the same boat as you guys
This is a post from another thread for this exam, thought it would be useful for anyone interested:

Hi,Yes I have analysed past papers questions and I have now my predictions of the Unit 3 AQA Economics exam on June 20th:

Essays:I fully believe that the first essay will be about business objectives, heavily referring to monopoly and perfect competition, but mainly about the growth of firms and how significant profit maximisation and other objectives to certain firms and market structures are.
I believe the second essay will be on either price discrimination (hasn't featured as second essay since June 2013) or contestable markets (which hasn't featured since June 2012).
Finally, the trend seems to say that the third essay will be a cost-benefit analysis one (as it comes up every 2 years: Jan 2010, June 2012, June 2014) but it's very likely it could be about poverty, however this came up last year as the 3rd essay (in the form of distribution of income).

For the contexts, I have no idea but the general structure is always should the government intervene and competition policy is strong for this.

Good luck to everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending