Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Advanced Higher English Dissertation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

So, I have to come up with two books for my dissertation and so far I have some ideas for what I could go for and they are below.

1. The idea that one choice you make can impact your whole life. The books I was thinking of doing were: The Choice by Nicholas Sparks and On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan but we are not allowed to do McEwan so any advice on this topic as to what book I could do with it would be grand.

2. Another idea was something to do with like mystery novels like Spider Bones by Kathy Reichs. But I'm not really sure as to what other books to pair it with as well as what "theme" to do.

3. This one I saw on a previous post also about this topic and it actually struck my interest I'm just unsure if it would be any good. The conflict between religion and knowledge, the idea that faith in god is rooted in ignorance of truth - focussing on the Da Vinci Code and The Northern Lights.

4. I have an idea for a Shakespeare-themed dissertation in terms of "Hamlet" and "Macbeth" and how the main characters cause their own downfall through a personal flaw.

My very first choice is No 1 though I'm unsure if we are allowed to do Sparks and what I could pair it with so any advice/opinion would be appreciated as I have just over a week to choose a pair. Also, any other ideas will be just as appreciated. I also wanted to mention that English is my second language so it would be good if the texts weren't overly Scottish so that I will actually be able to read the book(s). (I can't read Scottish texts nevermind understanding them)
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.