Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Insufficient credits but passed all the classes...raging!

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hi there,
    I am not sure this is the right place to ask but I need advice and can't wait til the university staff replies ( they take ages!!! ).

I was in second year of Psychology (2014/15) and my second subject was English literature. I failed the latter because I hate it and been told that it was too late to drop it. So I had to retake a class I was doing in first year ( French ) in order to proceed again with Psychology. To retake French year, tho, I was forced to register as part-time student in Academic Suspension. I thought it was good so I could work more and relax for a bit. Meanwhile I also had to take again first year English literature class.
    When you are in Academic Suspension you are not expected to attend tutorials but only to do examinations and you will be evaluated based on those.

I passed French with 49 and English with 57. Of course in total they make 40 credits ( as each is 20 )... today I read this on my Degree exams results page:

"You have 120.0 credits towards your degree. I refer to the diets of degree examinations held in 2015/2016 and regret to inform you that you have not obtained sufficient credits to allow you to proceed to the next year of your course. However the Board of Examiners considered that you would benefit from re-attending the current year of course in session 2016/2017. I would urge you to contact your sponsors (if applicable) to establish the financial implications of your re-attendance in 2016/2017."

WHAT????I passed both classes I was asked to take, I was told that if I passed that I could register again as a full time student... what does it mean? Not sufficient credits? How? I passed the classes I had, what????I am raging. What do you think?

All sounds a bit confusing, especially without looking at the rules. have a look at your student handbook and if you find it difficult to understand the system, then I would go and speak to an adviser in the SU or your tutor or maybe the student rep.

You seem to be claiming that you have passed all the exams they requested you to pass in 2014/15.
    It appears from the message they are asking you to do the whole module or year again? It needs clarification. You really need someone to interview and advise you in detail. SU advisor as they have a better chance of knowing the rules for your institution.

Insufficient creits means what it says, you havent passed enough of the course to proceed according to them. You should find out how much by and why you fell short.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.