The Student Room Group

End of GCSEs...

I have just finished my GCSEs and I don't feel happy like everyone else :frown:

I feel as though I could have put WAY more effort into them and didn't come out content after most of them.

I also go to an all girls grammar school, where everyone will get all A*s and I don't think I will get one.

In mocks I got (Just the exam- not including coursework etc):

Bio -C
Chem -C
Phys-D
Maths A -A
Maths M -A
English Language -A
English Literature -B
Business Studies -C
Geography -A
German -A/B
P.E. -E
ICT -C

That was ZERO revision and basically understanding NOTHING and not knowing any exam technique.

After mocks I did some past papers and went to boosters etc. and now understand the topics, but feel like I could have revised WAY more

But because of the bad grades I got before I feel like I going to do terribly and bring our school down.

I am taking Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I am SO scared about results and whether or not I will be able to do Physics at A Level. I cannot tell if I found the physics exams good or bad (I do AQA) and I can't enjoy the summer now..

I had dreams of studying economics at University (e.g. LSE, UCL, Cambridge etc.)

And now I don't think they will accept me with the grades I will get this summer. I know I definitely got a D/E overall in P.E. (it was a confidence issue)

How can I feel better and try not to worry?
I am determined to work EXTREMELY hard at A Level...so if I get average grades at GCSE and very good A Levels i.e. A*A*A*A then could I get into the top Unis?
I'm thinking top Unis in London or also Oxford, Cambridge etc... (to study Economics)
Original post by IAspireToSucceed
I am determined to work EXTREMELY hard at A Level...so if I get average grades at GCSE and very good A Levels i.e. A*A*A*A then could I get into the top Unis?
I'm thinking top Unis in London or also Oxford, Cambridge etc... (to study Economics)

I'm not suggesting anything but you might be interested to know that the average person accepted into Oxbridge has around 8 A*s at GCSE.

Edit - Also, not to sound nasty but you have to consider that, if you weren't trying before, how will you convince yourself to try now? Obviously there's a chance you'll pick up some good GCSEs and then motivate yourself to get those good grades at A level. Even then, to get in you will have to be better than the other 82% of people that apply, given their acceptance rates. Nothing can be said conclusively but remember to keep your options open.

This actually sounds really harsh and I feel bad for writing it, but they're my honest opinions.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have just finished my GCSEs and I don't feel happy like everyone else :frown:

I feel as though I could have put WAY more effort into them and didn't come out content after most of them.

I also go to an all girls grammar school, where everyone will get all A*s and I don't think I will get one.

In mocks I got (Just the exam- not including coursework etc):

Bio -C
Chem -C
Phys-D
Maths A -A
Maths M -A
English Language -A
English Literature -B
Business Studies -C
Geography -A
German -A/B
P.E. -E
ICT -C

That was ZERO revision and basically understanding NOTHING and not knowing any exam technique.

After mocks I did some past papers and went to boosters etc. and now understand the topics, but feel like I could have revised WAY more

But because of the bad grades I got before I feel like I going to do terribly and bring our school down.

I am taking Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I am SO scared about results and whether or not I will be able to do Physics at A Level. I cannot tell if I found the physics exams good or bad (I do AQA) and I can't enjoy the summer now..

I had dreams of studying economics at University (e.g. LSE, UCL, Cambridge etc.)

And now I don't think they will accept me with the grades I will get this summer. I know I definitely got a D/E overall in P.E. (it was a confidence issue)

How can I feel better and try not to worry?

In my experience, I don't think that you can not worry. It's unavoidable, what you can do is lessen it. Personally, I find distracting yourself and making yourself busy is quite helpful - maybe do some work experience or extracurriculars to add to your personal statement.

Just know that you tried your best to improve. At least you understood your mistakes and fixed up after your mocks. You can still be accepted with those grades, while unis do take GCSEs into account, they look into other stuff as well. Although I'd suggest applying to unis who are more A-level heavy than GCSE heavy.

Maybe give yourself options as well, before I got my grades, I thought that I failed so I started looking into what else I could do like retaking it again, BTECs, apprenticeships and stuff like that. When you realise you have other options, you're not as worried so maybe that might work for you as well.

Good luck though, I hope you do get the grades you wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@IAspireToSucceed

Don't worry too much. Just think about the A-levels. If you ever lose motivation or need inspiration, read on.
Good luck!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]
Don't worry because it's done you can't change it unless you retakeIf you are that determined then start studying for those subjects now, I wanna take maths with mechanics physics and chemistry but idk if I will get the grades to do chemistry and physics but ik that I will be able to do maths with mechanics a-level so I've started teaching myself Core 1&2
Original post by Nagromicous
I'm not suggesting anything but you might be interested to know that the average person accepted into Oxbridge has around 8 A*s at GCSE.

Edit - Also, not to sound nasty but you have to consider that, if you weren't trying before, how will you convince yourself to try now? Obviously there's a chance you'll pick up some good GCSEs and then motivate yourself to get those good grades at A level. Even then, to get in you will have to be better than the other 82% of people that apply, given their acceptance rates. Nothing can be said conclusively but remember to keep your options open.

This actually sounds really harsh and I feel bad for writing it, but they're my honest opinions.

Because my GCSE grades will motivate me to do WAY better at A Level, seeing as now I what I can do i.e. learn exam technique and know what to do if I don't understand something. I know I can do it
Original post by Firenze26
In my experience, I don't think that you can not worry. It's unavoidable, what you can do is lessen it. Personally, I find distracting yourself and making yourself busy is quite helpful - maybe do some work experience or extracurriculars to add to your personal statement.

Just know that you tried your best to improve. At least you understood your mistakes and fixed up after your mocks. You can still be accepted with those grades, while unis do take GCSEs into account, they look into other stuff as well. Although I'd suggest applying to unis who are more A-level heavy than GCSE heavy.

Maybe give yourself options as well, before I got my grades, I thought that I failed so I started looking into what else I could do like retaking it again, BTECs, apprenticeships and stuff like that. When you realise you have other options, you're not as worried so maybe that might work for you as well.

Good luck though, I hope you do get the grades you wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you xx
I really want to go to University though and study economics. I know that Cambridge look at A Levels mainly so if they see my massive improvement from GCSEs to A Levels, do you think I have a good chance?
Original post by GeorgeMillerr
Don't worry because it's done you can't change it unless you retakeIf you are that determined then start studying for those subjects now, I wanna take maths with mechanics physics and chemistry but idk if I will get the grades to do chemistry and physics but ik that I will be able to do maths with mechanics a-level so I've started teaching myself Core 1&2

Ahaha thank you and yes I was planning to do a bit of Maths xx
Because my GCSE grades will motivate me to do WAY better at A Level, seeing as now I what I can do i.e. learn exam technique and know what to do if I don't understand something. I know I can do it

I hope you can. I wish you the very best of luck.
Thank you xx
I really want to go to University though and study economics. I know that Cambridge look at A Levels mainly so if they see my massive improvement from GCSEs to A Levels, do you think I have a good chance?

It depends, I'm not trying to be pessimistic but, Cambridge is an oversubscribed university. You need to have really good Personal Statements, reference and the other aspects if you want to get in along with great grades.

If you achieve the grades you wanted and have amazing personal statements and interview, I'd say you'd have a decent chance. It's easier to get in with average GCSEs and great a-levels than getting in with amazing GCSEs and average A-levels.

Still though, you might want to ask current students. I haven't actually experienced the application process yet for universities so y'know...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Don't even think you need physics for economics, it will make your life harder when trying to meet uni entry requirements.
A-Levels are very different compared to GCSEs. I know people who got far higher GCSE grades than me yet came out with the same A-Level grades as myself. As long as you pick a good combination of subjects which work for you I am sure you will do fine!
Original post by Nagromicous
I hope you can. I wish you the very best of luck.

And thanks for being so optimistic and making me feel better and less upset xxxxxxxx
GUYS I GOT ALL As AND 1 B(Business) AND 1 C(P.E.).

I could've done WAY better and could have easily got 12 A*s, but I have learnt from my mistakes and am ready to work extremely hard at A Level.

Quick Reply

Latest