The Student Room Group

What is your favourite thing about Israel?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saeed9755
Yeh my bad Mizrahi. Havent seen the Mizrachi spelling before tho.

Commonly used to denote the hard H sound, like for example 'challah' or 'chanukah'. It's just what I'm used to.
Reply 121
You just came here to say that? :biggrin:
Original post by EricPiphany
Commonly used to denote the hard H sound, like for example 'challah' or 'chanukah'. It's just what I'm used to.

Yes i know what you mean, its to denote the kind of fleming noise, basically the Hebrew khaf letter or the Arabic kha
Love how they keep on breaking international laws and getting away with it. :u:
Original post by Daddy Longlegz
It's probably the best place in the world for tech start ups outside Silicon Valley, to think a tiny nation could achieve that is so beautifully inspirational.

But the way they got the money and funds to achieve this...
I recently spent time in Israel as I wanted to rediscover some roots. Have a few distant cousins there and was quite surprised.

One thing that struck me, for a so called Jewish state it is hardly all that Jewish as it is actually a very secular country that happened to be run by a lot of Jewish people. Could a non-Catholic ever run the Vatican or a non-Muslim hold any position of power in Saudi Arabia?

Harmony between races and religion does seem to better than in many Western countries and quite possibly the best in the region, ever checked how minorities are treated in much of the GCC area or how the Kurds are treated in Turkey? Thought so too.

Aspects that impressed me :-
1) The amount of trees everywhere. Supposedly it is the only country in the world that there are more trees today than there were 100 years ago. They do have an impressive tree-planting and reforestation program going on. Some fairly impressive trees too they have there that were surprisingly tall which surprised me a lot considering how hot and dry it is there.

2) Their bio-technology and food industries. They sure do have ways and means to come up with all kinds of hybrid crops and most of them are rather tasty too. Quietly they are exporting a lot of it through Egypt and onwards to many of their more hostile neighbours.

3) Their high-tech industries, this one is sort of a given. In many ways I'm not surprised at how good it is as the general population do tend to place lots of emphasis in high quality education that is largely secular and when it comes to work, then work is work, no BSing about. The part that is most impressive however is unlike American or European or technology from Asia, they tend to develop it day one to be economical, efficient and robust. They are generally happy to sell it on to you or if you want to learn then they will teach you about it.

4) The food. I always wondered how on earth there aren't more fat ones about considering how good the food is there.

5) Their entertainment industry, never realized their music scene was so alive and considering it is supposed to be a place fighting over religion, there seriously were some very good bars, clubs and other types of establishments that could easily put to shame many capital cities in EU.

6) Their patience and tolerance towards other faiths. Try building a church in the middle of a predominantly Muslim area anywhere in the world and most likely it would get bombed or vandalized. Build a mosque anywhere in any neighbourhood in Israel and life goes on as per normal. Surprisingly, it didn't appear to be anything abnormal for a Jewish boss to have a company run by 100% Muslim employees.

7) It did appear to me and it was quite surprising too, however vast majority of Muslims and Arabs living in Israel were more than happy with the way things are.

8) Finally it did appear to me that one reason why I liked my time there was because it reminded me a lot of Singapore where I grew up in. Has many parallels, both are small countries surrounded by big countries that are generally hostile to you. Both know the only way to survive is through good education, clean governance and doing more with less.
I see Mathemagicien has joined the Banned trend :angry:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Just saving mods some time :biggrin:

HAAHAHHAHHAHAAHHA good one

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I got the idea off Plantagenet Crown :wink:

Yeah i also thought he was banned, but considering that he's a conservative who speaks out against Islam, it's only a matter of time the gag turns into reality.
Honestly, judging by the replies, I would have concluded that Israel is pretty bad at this

Israel has appalling PR tactics. The Palestinians appeal to people in an emotional and quite simplistic way, memes, cartoons, etc the Israelis often come across as smug. America needs Israel to protect her security, the West needs Israel because of how good they are at science. Nobody wants to be reminded of their inferiority :biggrin:
I like how powerful and strong they are for a small nation.
Original post by ivybridge
It's easy for me? Yeah, okay, pal. I grew up being abused for my sexuality daily, with parents who do not approve, teachers who punished me for coming out, and being subjected to stabbing for my sexuality. You can back the **** off right now. You don't know what you're talking about and you're acting like you're from 5 centuries past. I refuse to discuss this with you further; absolute bigot.

Why do you have to make literally every thread about being gay?

(Oh, and I think I already know the response you're going to give)
Original post by Calmness
Yeah i also thought he was banned, but considering that he's a conservative who speaks out against Islam, it's only a matter of time the gag turns into reality.

Lmao, I am not a conservative, I am virtually as liberal as one can get.
Original post by Ladbants

Just ignore him lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Mason
The women.
I swear Israel has the best looking women on the planet

I swear arab,east african (somali, ethiopian and light habesha as well persian and latino woman are the hottes)t:love:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Daddy Longlegz
Ugandans are the world's best economists. Literally everyone there is a millionaire.

Lol they are starting to do well. The povery level fell to 19.5% in 2015. It was 39% in 1999
Original post by PrincessBO$$
I swear arab,east african (somali, ethiopian and light habesha as well persian and latino woman are the hottest:love::love::love:

Spoiler

The women you have mentioned are attractive, but Israeli women are in another league.
Original post by Blue_Mason
The women you have mentioned are attractive, but Israeli women are in another league.

LOL NEVER SAW ISRAELI WOMAN WIN MISS UNIVERSE TITLE
PERHAPS THEY ARE TOO GOOD :tongue:
MY OPINION :biggrin: I BELIEVE EAST AFRICANS SOMALI, LIGHT HABESHA, PERSIAN, LATIONO AND ARAB ARE LITERALLY QUEENS OF BEAUTY. GOD GAVE THEM A CROWN SO US HUMANS CAN MARVEL:love::love::love:
Original post by Ladbants

Original post by Trapz99
Just ignore him lol

Are you incapable of reading? I didn't make it about this. @Blue_Mason did. Get over your little vendettas.
How cheap their e-liquid is.

Other than that, I don't really know much about it as a country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending