The Student Room Group

Eczema/psoriasis ruining my life

Okay so I'm 18 now and I've suffered from severe eczema my whole life, mainly on the insides of my elbows, however the past few years I've accumulated tons of scars all over my body, and that's not exaggeration... like they're all over my legs, arms, back, face, stomach, boobs:'/
This effects my self esteem to the point where I don't leave the house if I can help it, I can't exercise as when I sweat my eczema stings so bad and just gets worse (gross I know sorry tmi), and I don't go on nights out because I don't want to have to cover every part of my body... makeup doesn't cover it and would just make it infected and it even makes it difficult to wear makeup on my face:frown:

Of course I've been going to the doctors about it my entire life and have tried pretty much every cream/treatment out there but NOTHING has worked permanently, and moreover it's the scars on my legs that are a huge problem and they won't go away either.

Does ANYONE have ANY advice, please, as it is literally effecting my life so badly. If you or anyone you know suffers, do you have any tips? Like I don't like my boyfriend seeing me because it's so disgusting...

Idek why I'm asking on here I am just pretty desperate haha.. thanks in advance:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ekm12
Okay so I'm 18 now and I've suffered from severe eczema my whole life, mainly on the insides of my elbows, however the past few years I've accumulated tons of scars all over my body, and that's not exaggeration... like they're all over my legs, arms, back, face, stomach, boobs:'/
This effects my self esteem to the point where I don't leave the house if I can help it, I can't exercise as when I sweat my eczema stings so bad and just gets worse (gross I know sorry tmi), and I don't go on nights out because I don't want to have to cover every part of my body... makeup doesn't cover it and would just make it infected and it even makes it difficult to wear makeup on my face:frown:

Of course I've been going to the doctors about it my entire life and have tried pretty much every cream/treatment out there but NOTHING has worked permanently, and moreover it's the scars on my legs that are a huge problem and they won't go away either.

Does ANYONE have ANY advice, please, as it is literally effecting my life so badly. If you or anyone you know suffers, do you have any tips? Like I don't like my boyfriend seeing me because it's so disgusting...

Idek why I'm asking on here I am just pretty desperate haha.. thanks in advance:

Bio-oil may help to reduce the scarring but unfortunately there is always a risk that it won't go away. Scars naturally fade over months and years so are likely to become less noticeable over time.

Regarding treatments, a high strength hydrocortisone can be good in the short term to give your eczema a kick start at healing, but really this is something you need to discuss with your GP and potentially asking for referral to a dermatologist if you feel you're not getting anywhere. You really need to explain to them how this is affecting your wellbeing, that you are unable to exercise or have a normal social life because of this.

As for other things that might be worth a try, make sure you're paying attention to the fabrics coming in contact with your skin and aim for looser cotton where possible. The key to keeping eczema at bay once you've improved it is moisturising your skin very regularly. There are loads of products but I'd recommend Aveeno as it's very unlikely to cause any stinging, and is the first one I'd recommend to any eczema sufferers. You should also keep a check on the laundry detergents you're using - baby ones are good for eczema sufferers. Shower gels and body washes and even shampoo can irritate your skin, so it's worth considering changing these to eczema-friendly versions (Aveeno or Cetaphil are good). If you're struggling to find adult versions, baby eczema products are just as good.

Sometimes it is trial and error with these products and there is a huge range to choose from, and what works for one person might not for another. I've seen people have severe stinging sensations from the mildest products, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't work for you the first time round, and be aware that it can take some days or weeks for a visible improvement. Lots of these companies offer samples too (off the top of my head, Aveeno, Aproderm, Dermalex), so that's definitely worth a look.
I cured my eczema although it wasnt as severe as yours. You need to do anulom vilom. Conventional treatments like creams, oils etc are not a cure for everyone. It might help reduce the pain or the discomfort but at the end of the day you are still stuck with it. The fact is since you have eczema there is something wrong with your skin, and creams and oils wont really cure that especially for severe sufferers. This is how I cured my eczema. Do this breathing excercise as much as you can, the more you do it the quicker it will be cured. I did it about 2-3 hours a day just watching tv or something like that.

- Breath in from one nostril while closing the other nostril with your finger. Then breathe out with the other nostril while closing the initial nostril you started breathing in with. Then breathe out with the same nostril. Then breathe in from the alternate nostril. This is called alternate breathing is an ayurvedic remedy for many problems. It was suggested by my dermatologist and it worked!
Please don't this as me being nosy, but have you been accessed to see whether or not you have asthma? I'm only inquiring because the two conditions are connected. I have both of these conditions which is why I asked. mine isn't as bad as your's; I only get it in small patches on my wrists and sometimes on the palms of my hands. This may not work for you, but I've found that Hydrocortisyl skin ointment tends to work for me and recently I've found that a small amount of Caldesene medicated powder works for me too.

I know this may not help you very much, but it was the only thing I could think off. Hopefully you'll find some form of treatment that works for you. feel free to pm me if you wish to talk anymore
Reply 4
Original post by ekm12

Heya, I have the same problem as you. My eczema has caused scaring over my hands and arms and outsides of my elbows and bits of my legs too. The cream i use is Epaderm and Zero Derm ( thats the new one i get prescribed cause its cheaper :/ ) New pots work best too. For scaring, my brother uses Bio oil and it works quite well ( he has eczema too) . I never tried it. If you have bad sores etc i recommend Hydrocoratzone and the one with antibiotics in it (I cant remember the name) . It fixes it really fast but you ll have to get that from a doctor.

For the self conscious things that a little more difficult. I was like that For ages. Even in summer i would be all covered up because i was so worried it would look bad. It took me ages to be able to wear short sleeves again. I can tell you now though, no one is fussed about it and if they are, they realllllllllly need to get a life and a hobby. Your boyfriend especially wont care, he loves you for you being amazing and you will always look beautiful to him :smile: I always make a joke out of my eczema because i've found that the best way for me to deal with it. People ask if its sore and stuff but they don't mean anything bad about it. Ill explane it to them and tell them "yeah, it looks like i've had a fight with a cheese grater" and then laugh and smile. For me i find it easier to explane it with a smile because it makes it less scary for people then they generally don't care about it :smile: people are nicer than you think :biggrin: Feel free to drop me a message if you want to :smile: Best of luck! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hi I have had eczema my whole life and my mum was very good at teaching me how to look after it. This post might say some stuff you may already know but please dont take offence because I dont know how much you know:
1. Buy Aveeno cream (about 13 quid) because it is soothing for itches
2. Buy cotton bandages and use them to lock in moisture in your skin (ofcs wash regualry) esp helpful at night
3. Halfway through your day or if you have gone out in the day - come back home and wash your skin gently with wet cotton in a patting motion to clean up the sweat etc. Then apply moisture etc
4. Sleep in rooms with windows open to allow cool air on your skin and don't put on the air con or heater too much because it dries the skin
5. Eat good healthy food because often eczema is linked to what is going on, on the inside of your body
6. You can excercise - lightly - just prep your skin and then clean up well after with the same steps i mentioned in 3.
Try going outside for walks because the air and sunshine will help your skin to breath - even if you sit your garden it will help
If you have extra money to spare then buy organic creams containing pure rose oil because the less chemicals you put on your skin, the better. Often the creams drs subscribe can thin your skin and this is really bad for you
7. Take baths with oatmeal in old stockings at luke warm temperatures

As for your confidence - you have to learn to love yourself because your body is the only body you are going to have for the rest of your life. And dont be too harsh on yourself. We both have a skin condition so ofcs it will affect how we look. If someone ever makes a reark about your scars etc - ignore it because they simply don't understand the pain of having eczema. You ARE beautiful and if you can love yourself at your lowest then you are a lot stronger than you know (cheesy but had to be said!)
I had a horrible reaction to medicine two years back and my mum practically forced me into college when my face was bumpy, sore and i had eczema patches on my face. It was so terrible but 1. people didnt say anything like i thought they would and 2. eventhough it was so hard, i did it and i survived - i didnt die!!
Goodluck and be patient - eczema is a horrible thing but love your skin and dont be so hard on yourself - how can you expect it to heal when you dont treat it with love?

P.S there is a very good cream that helped me at Neal's Yard called Wild Rose - it cost about 40 pounds but honestly, it was one of the most helpful creams I have ever used. I only use this when I have really bad eczema tho cause it so expensive and is in a small pot
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ekm12

I am 16 and pretty much in the same situation. Just don't do what I did and use aqueous cream as all the doctors prescribe but turns out it made my arms bleed, when I read the tub it actually says 'Don't use on irritated skin'.

The best two things you can possibly use are diprobase (large white bottle with pump) and Lush's Dream Cream. An under layer of diprobase as soon as you get up or out of the shower, wait to dry ( which it does really quickly) and pop a thin thin layer of dream cream on. The cream is a lifesaver. It's about £12 for a tub that lasts me 2-3 months at a time but it hydrates your skin and helps significantly plus it smells bloody gorgeous. xx
If you have eczema trust me do some breathing excercises it will be all over in just a matter of months. Do what I said above

Original post by gemmastewart94
I am 16 and pretty much in the same situation. Just don't do what I did and use aqueous cream as all the doctors prescribe but turns out it made my arms bleed, when I read the tub it actually says 'Don't use on irritated skin'.

The best two things you can possibly use are diprobase (large white bottle with pump) and Lush's Dream Cream. An under layer of diprobase as soon as you get up or out of the shower, wait to dry ( which it does really quickly) and pop a thin thin layer of dream cream on. The cream is a lifesaver. It's about £12 for a tub that lasts me 2-3 months at a time but it hydrates your skin and helps significantly plus it smells bloody gorgeous. xx
Original post by Samonia
Heya, I have the same problem as you. My eczema has caused scaring over my hands and arms and outsides of my elbows and bits of my legs too. The cream i use is Epaderm and Zero Derm ( thats the new one i get prescribed cause its cheaper :/ ) New pots work best too. For scaring, my brother uses Bio oil and it works quite well ( he has eczema too) . I never tried it. If you have bad sores etc i recommend Hydrocoratzone and the one with antibiotics in it (I cant remember the name) . It fixes it really fast but you ll have to get that from a doctor.

For the self conscious things that a little more difficult. I was like that For ages. Even in summer i would be all covered up because i was so worried it would look bad. It took me ages to be able to wear short sleeves again. I can tell you now though, no one is fussed about it and if they are, they realllllllllly need to get a life and a hobby. Your boyfriend especially wont care, he loves you for you being amazing and you will always look beautiful to him :smile: I always make a joke out of my eczema because i've found that the best way for me to deal with it. People ask if its sore and stuff but they don't mean anything bad about it. Ill explane it to them and tell them "yeah, it looks like i've had a fight with a cheese grater" and then laugh and smile. For me i find it easier to explane it with a smile because it makes it less scary for people then they generally don't care about it :smile: people are nicer than you think :biggrin: Feel free to drop me a message if you want to :smile: Best of luck! :biggrin:

Original post by Rt6f
Hi I have had eczema my whole life and my mum was very good at teaching me how to look after it. This post might say some stuff you may already know but please dont take offence because I dont know how much you know:
2. Buy cotton bandages and use them to lock in moisture in your skin (ofcs wash regualry) esp helpful at night
3. Halfway through your day or if you have gone out in the day - come back home and wash your skin gently with wet cotton in a patting motion to clean up the sweat etc. Then apply moisture etc
4. Sleep in rooms with windows open to allow cool air on your skin and don't put on the air con or heater too much because it dries the skin
5. Eat good healthy food because often eczema is linked to what is going on, on the inside of your body
6. You can excercise - lightly - just prep your skin and then clean up well after with the same steps i mentioned in 3.
Try going outside for walks because the air and sunshine will help your skin to breath - even if you sit your garden it will help
If you have extra money to spare then buy organic creams containing pure rose oil because the less chemicals you put on your skin, the better. Often the creams drs subscribe can thin your skin and this is really bad for you

As for your confidence - you have to learn to love yourself because your body is the only body you are going to have for the rest of your life. And dont be too harsh on yourself. We both have a skin condition so ofcs it will affect how we look. If someone ever makes a reark about your scars etc - ignore it because they simply don't understand the pain of having eczema. You ARE beautiful and if you can love yourself at your lowest then you are a lot stronger than you know (cheesy but had to be said!)
I had a horrible reaction to medicine two years back and my mum practically forced me into college when my face was bumpy, sore and i had eczema patches on my face. It was so terrible but 1. people didnt say anything like i thought they would and 2. eventhough it was so hard, i did it and i survived - i didnt die!!
Goodluck and be patient - eczema is a horrible thing but love your skin and dont be so hard on yourself - how can you expect it to heal when you dont treat it with love?

P.S there is a very good cream that helped me at Neal's Yard called Wild Rose - it cost about 40 pounds but honestly, it was one of the most helpful creams I have ever used. I only use this when I have really bad eczema tho cause it so expensive and is in a small pot

If you guys have eczema try doing breathing excercises. I cured my eczema within months of doing it regularly. I mentioned it in detail in the above post
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I cured my eczema although it wasnt as severe as yours. You need to do anulom vilom. Conventional treatments like creams, oils etc are not a cure for everyone. It might help reduce the pain or the discomfort but at the end of the day you are still stuck with it. The fact is since you have eczema there is something wrong with your skin, and creams and oils wont really cure that especially for severe sufferers. This is how I cured my eczema. Do this breathing excercise as much as you can, the more you do it the quicker it will be cured. I did it about 2-3 hours a day just watching tv or something like that.

- Breath in from one nostril while closing the other nostril with your finger. Then breathe out with the other nostril while closing the initial nostril you started breathing in with. Then breathe out with the same nostril. Then breathe in from the alternate nostril. This is called alternate breathing is an ayurvedic remedy for many problems. It was suggested by my dermatologist and it worked!

I never really tired/heard of this but i will give it a go! thank you
Original post by Rt6f
I never really tired/heard of this but i will give it a go! thank you

Remember, I did 2-3 hours a day and it took me about a month when it wasnt that severe. So it could take longer for you depending on your situation but dont give up! :smile:
Have you tried cutting out different foods at all? Bit of a pain to do but I know people who particularly gluten have found it really makes it worse. Dairy too but not as much. Worth a try anyway! The asthma link is also possiny worth an investigate, I've found mine a lot better since I started using natural soap too (the simple one seems to be about the best). It'd probably be even better if I switched shampoo/conditioner but I can't find any that actually work on my hair :redface:

Edit: antihistamines too- hadn't realised how much they helped me but as soon as I stopped taking them last winter it all went pear shaped. Less effective than they used to be but still help with skin (and other) allergies a lot.
(edited 7 years ago)
I very recently suffered with severe eczema for the first time since my early childhood. My entire body, with the exception of my chest and face, we're covered in a hideous and extremely painful rash. I visited several different doctors, all of them put my on different strength steroid creams, some of which just made my eczema worse.

Eventually I saw a doctor who prescribed me Eumovate steroid cream for 2 weeks followed by and further 2 weeks of hydrocortisone. He also told me to take 1 antihistamine tablet everyday which helps to ward off the triggers of eczema. He also recommended I moisturise every day to prevent my skin from drying up. This has worked wonders for me and, fingers crossed, I and now virtually eczema free. I only have tiny patches of eczema on my inner arms now, when 2 months ago it covered my entire body and was making me very miserable.
Reply 13
Original post by Charlotte49
Bio-oil may help to reduce the scarring but unfortunately there is always a risk that it won't go away. Scars naturally fade over months and years so are likely to become less noticeable over time.

Regarding treatments, a high strength hydrocortisone can be good in the short term to give your eczema a kick start at healing, but really this is something you need to discuss with your GP and potentially asking for referral to a dermatologist if you feel you're not getting anywhere. You really need to explain to them how this is affecting your wellbeing, that you are unable to exercise or have a normal social life because of this.

As for other things that might be worth a try, make sure you're paying attention to the fabrics coming in contact with your skin and aim for looser cotton where possible. The key to keeping eczema at bay once you've improved it is moisturising your skin very regularly. There are loads of products but I'd recommend Aveeno as it's very unlikely to cause any stinging, and is the first one I'd recommend to any eczema sufferers. You should also keep a check on the laundry detergents you're using - baby ones are good for eczema sufferers. Shower gels and body washes and even shampoo can irritate your skin, so it's worth considering changing these to eczema-friendly versions (Aveeno or Cetaphil are good). If you're struggling to find adult versions, baby eczema products are just as good.

Sometimes it is trial and error with these products and there is a huge range to choose from, and what works for one person might not for another. I've seen people have severe stinging sensations from the mildest products, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't work for you the first time round, and be aware that it can take some days or weeks for a visible improvement. Lots of these companies offer samples too (off the top of my head, Aveeno, Aproderm, Dermalex), so that's definitely worth a look.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write me such a thoughtful response. Unsurprisingly, I have tried strong hydrocortisones and they are the ONLY thing that, like you say, gives it a kick start in healing.
Something I've found that makes it worse is when I'm stressed, but then I get stressed about the eczema, and so the cycle continues.I really appreciate your advice and will definitely try what you've suggested, and I've made an appointment with the doctor tomorrow yet AGAIN to see if theres another solution.
I have actually been referred to a dermatologist previously, but all he did was give me an allergy test, which showed no allergies, and sent me on my way with no advice I haven't already heard. Rather disappointing given he was private and we had to pay.Like I said, thank you so much for your advice.
Reply 14
Original post by lisa reilly
Please don't this as me being nosy, but have you been accessed to see whether or not you have asthma? I'm only inquiring because the two conditions are connected. I have both of these conditions which is why I asked. mine isn't as bad as your's; I only get it in small patches on my wrists and sometimes on the palms of my hands. This may not work for you, but I've found that Hydrocortisyl skin ointment tends to work for me and recently I've found that a small amount of Caldesene medicated powder works for me too.

I know this may not help you very much, but it was the only thing I could think off. Hopefully you'll find some form of treatment that works for you. feel free to pm me if you wish to talk anymore

Thanks so much for your reply! Yeah I do have asthma, and have had it as long as the eczema, but it's not as bad as it used to be thankfully.

I have tried Hydrocortisyl and it is the only thing that takes away the severity.

Like I said, I really appreciate your response:smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous

Wow, I have never even heard of that! I will 100% try that from now on, thank you so much!! So refreshing to hear of something I haven't tried yet haha, I was hoping there was something I could try that doesn't involve covering myself in ointment and cream.

Thank you:smile:
Reply 16
Have you tried Oilatum?
I can't really offer any advice other than what others have said, but wanted to wish you the best of luck.

Try not to get down, none of us have perfect bodies and a perfect body is by no means necessary for someone to love us.
Reply 18
Original post by Samonia

Thank you so much, that's so lovely! Again I have tried what you've suggested by I really appreciate it none-the-less.

Really nice to know I'm not the only one, and you're right - laughing about it helps - my boyfriend and I found a youtube video with an 'eczema song' that this kid made up and it's so horrendously bad it's so funny.

Again thank you so much for being so lovely, I feel much better for it!:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Rt6f

Thank you SO much for this. Although I have tried some of the things, I haven't tried some in a while and you've reminded me so I'll definitely try again!

It's so lovely to know I'm not the only one and thank you for your lovely advice, feel much better now:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest