The Student Room Group

Why do so many people study law/psychology when the career prospects are low?

Scroll to see replies

Stats don't mean much when it comes to grad employment. Whether you get paid a lot or not depends more on your personality and your skills rather than what degree you have. The exception to this is engineering and medicine, for which you do need a specific degree. Most jobs will accept people regardless of whether they study anthropology or aerospace engineering- they care far more about your soft skills, your communication and ability to work in a team. That's what gets you into a high salary job, not really your degree.

Tl;dr Except for engineering and medicine, all the high paying careers recruit from a wide variety of degree disciplines. The reason why certain degrees pay more is because the people studying them tend to have better work skills.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Stats don't mean much when it comes to grad employment. Whether you get paid a lot or not depends more on your personality and your skills rather than what degree you have. The exception to this is engineering and medicine, for which you do need a specific degree. Most jobs will accept people regardless of whether they study anthropology or aerospace engineering- they care far more about your soft skills, your communication and ability to work in a team. That's what gets you into a high salary job not really your degree.

Tldr Except for engineering and medicine, all the high paying careers recruit from a wide variety of degree disciplines.

Correctomundo as per usual

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Correctomundo as per usual

Posted from TSR Mobile

I learned that all from you lol

Btw, check your PMs :smile:
Original post by Trapz99
Stats don't mean much when it comes to grad employment. Whether you get paid a lot or not depends more on your personality and your skills rather than what degree you have. The exception to this is engineering and medicine, for which you do need a specific degree. Most jobs will accept people regardless of whether they study anthropology or aerospace engineering- they care far more about your soft skills, your communication and ability to work in a team. That's what gets you into a high salary job, not really your degree.

Tl;dr Except for engineering and medicine, all the high paying careers recruit from a wide variety of degree disciplines. The reason why certain degrees pay more is because the people studying them tend to have better work skills.

agreed.*
Original post by physicsphysics91
Why cant you just read books to cover it all if you're purely interested? Theres very little (other than the practical aspects) I couldnt of learnt myself with the books.

Giving a hypothetical, I could have done X if I did it, is really silly...

I could have read all of Kant, Freud, Hegel and Foucault but I didn't.
I could have played through all of Mozart, Bach, Haydn, Liszt, but I didn't.
etc.
I could have taught myself Python, C++, Java, SQL, but I didn't.

You're overestimating your ability to do something, things you'll probably never do in your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending