The Student Room Group

Emf

a coil is being rotated at a frequency of 50Hz in a magnetic field of field density B, what is the average emf induced and maximum emf induce? Area = a and number of turns = N.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by jonnypdot
a coil is being rotated at a frequency of 50Hz in a magnetic field of field density B, what is the average emf induced and maximum emf induce? Area = a and number of turns = N.

What issues do you have with this problem?

Are you able to show me an attempt at the question?
Reply 3
Original post by hezzlington
What issues do you have with this problem?

Are you able to show me an attempt at the question?

i just thought of it because emf graphs are usually sine or cosine waves so how can i determine average emf.
i just thought of it because emf graphs are usually sine or cosine waves so how can i determine average emf.

Well, what is the average for a periodic waveform? The positive values cancel out the negative values, giving you an average of zero.

Okay, for some reason latex is really messing up for me.

Maximum emf is w*BA*sinw*t

w = omega
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Well, what is the average for a periodic waveform? The positive values cancel out the negative values, giving you an average of zero.

Okay, for some reason latex is really messing up for me.

Maximum emf is w*BA*sinw*t

w = omega

but i thought the current coming from mains supply is created from alternating pd
but i thought the current coming from mains supply is created from alternating pd

The problem you're describing sounds very similar to an alternator (used in cars). The emf varies sinusoidally and you get an alternating current that also varies sinusoidally in magnitude and direction.
Reply 7
The problem you're describing sounds very similar to an alternator (used in cars). The emf varies sinusoidally and you get an alternating current that also varies sinusoidally in magnitude and direction.

so i was describing a different concept? If so lets forget about it. Also can i ask you a question regarding electric fields?
so i was describing a different concept? If so lets forget about it. Also can i ask you a question regarding electric fields?

It sounds like you were possibly trying to describe a direct-current generator that produces emf of the same sign (e.g. no negative values). The DC generators used commercially have lots of coils and commutator segments which smooth out the bumps in emf so that your terminal voltage is one directional and pretty much constant.

For a problem involving a dc generator, you can calculage average back emf.

Sure, ask away :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
It sounds like you were trying to describe a direct-current generator that produces emf of the same sign (e.g. no negative values). The DC generators used commercially have lots of coils and commutator segments which smooth out the bumps in emf so that your terminal voltage is one directional and pretty much constant.

For a problem involving a dc generator, you can calculage average back emf.

Sure, ask away :smile:

so i have 2 positive charges if they are separated by a distance d what will the electric field strength at the mid point be? Would i just add the electric field strength for each charge at a distance d/2?

If i had unlike charges would i still have to add the electric field strength? a
if i had 2 negative charges i would have to find the net electric field strength right?
so i have 2 positive charges if they are separated by a distance d what will the electric field strength at the mid point be? Would i just add the electric field strength for each charge at a distance d/2?

Yes. This is known as the superposition of Electric Fields and you use it a lot when dealing with distributions of point charges.

If i had unlike charges would i still have to add the electric field strength? a

Two unlike charges is also known as an electric dipole.

Total field is denoted as a. So you need to calculate both the field strengths of each test charge, then add them together, yes.

if i had 2 negative charges i would have to find the net electric field strength right?

Calculate the E of each, taking into account direction, and then add them. Same process.
Reply 11
Yes. This is known as the superposition of Electric Fields and you use it a lot when dealing with distributions of point charges.

Two unlike charges is also known as an electric dipole.

Total field is denoted as a. So you need to calculate both the field strengths of each test charge, then add them together, yes.

Calculate the E of each, taking into account direction, and then add them. Same process.

thank you so much for your help.
thank you so much for your help.

No worries.

Need any more help then feel free to message me.

LaTeX is being fixed soon, so I'll be more helpful when that happens :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest