Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

PhD in the UK? (Biochemistry related)

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hello everyone

    I'm a Spanish girl who just finished her Bachelor Degree in Biochemistry here in Spain. I was thinkig about takin a gap year to get my C1 english diploma and then truly consider what I want to do with my life, masters avaliable...etc. I'm interested in Developmental biology, for example. So here's my question.

    Here in Spain you enroll in a master, then apply for a PhD and they pay you for 4 years approx to get your thesis done. Does that happen in the UK that way too? Because when I check some PhD programs such as this one:


    It doesn't mention you're going to get pait but in fact it says you have to pay tuition fees? That are, again, pretty high, it's the price of a second master basically.

    So, can anyone PLEASE PLEASE help me out, how could I get a paid PhD in the UK for 3-4 years and how does it work...

    Thank you very very much

    There is a lot more information in the Postgraduate Applications forum, but generally, you need to apply to a research council for funding if you want to someone to pay your fees and living expenses for you. Some universities might have their own scholarships but these are unusual.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.