The Student Room Group

79 Days Till A-Levels — AAAA JOURNEY

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Why? Surely living in a large city makes it easier to find work experience, not harder.

Not really, especially at hospitals and whatnot, so much demand from students like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get in contact with as many hospitals as possible, because you're end of year 11 you still have a bit of time so being patient will be useful i guess? Any medical work experience would count but they'd look for a range of different specialties, try get some at a GP?

To apply to med schools you must have a minimum amount of work experience(usually like 2-3 weeks), maybe look into going abroad for work experience (in extreme circumstances) or just out of london, maybe stay with another family member and do work experience in a different city?

I'd definitely recommend doing charity work/volunteering because in my interviews they asked about it often

Work experience is almost as paramount as the grades because the uni's are looking for people who would be better doctors not better information consumers so personality experience, and determination will take you a long way!

Original post by dexterminate
Not really, especially at hospitals and whatnot, so much demand from students like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 420quickscope
Get in contact with as many hospitals as possible, because you're end of year 11 you still have a bit of time so being patient will be useful i guess? Any medical work experience would count but they'd look for a range of different specialties, try get some at a GP?

To apply to med schools you must have a minimum amount of work experience(usually like 2-3 weeks), maybe look into going abroad for work experience (in extreme circumstances) or just out of london, maybe stay with another family member and do work experience in a different city?

I'd definitely recommend doing charity work/volunteering because in my interviews they asked about it often

Work experience is almost as paramount as the grades because the uni's are looking for people who would be better doctors not better information consumers so personality experience, and determination will take you a long way!

This really helped! Monday I will go seeking work experience and I will definitely volunteer at a charity nearby. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
DAY 2:

I’m going to watch some videos on empirical and molecular formula just so I can totally grasp it. After that, I’m going to do exam questions related to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DAY 3:

I’m making flashcards for prefixes and their factors (physics).

Posted from TSR Mobile
UPDATE:

I made some cards on the photoelectric effect which seems cool (physics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
DAY 7:

I relaxed for 4 days. Today, I memorised all the SI units and factors :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need to start revising all of the GCSE topics again and doing some further reading in order to prepare for A levels lol, I've just been using my free time to the fullest and going out all the time!! or staying in bed and watching netflix. I worked so hard on GCSEs that I'm enjoying my time off!!

I'm starting college in September too and taking Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Philosophy and ethics, and Spanish, but I think I'll drop Spanish after AS and continue it as a modern language course on the side. I'm going to get the head start to A level CGP books and revise from them, my GCSE notes, and also maybe pick up a few extra books for further reading just to stimulate my interests lol.

I would LOVE to go to Cambridge and read the natural sciences tripos, but it's so competitive. I'm just going to work crazily hard and see how it goes.

If anyone has any reccomendations for books, especially to do with physics, that are just interesting, then that would be great!!
Original post by emi.hopkins
I need to start revising all of the GCSE topics again and doing some further reading in order to prepare for A levels lol, I've just been using my free time to the fullest and going out all the time!! or staying in bed and watching netflix. I worked so hard on GCSEs that I'm enjoying my time off!!

I'm starting college in September too and taking Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Philosophy and ethics, and Spanish, but I think I'll drop Spanish after AS and continue it as a modern language course on the side. I'm going to get the head start to A level CGP books and revise from them, my GCSE notes, and also maybe pick up a few extra books for further reading just to stimulate my interests lol.

I would LOVE to go to Cambridge and read the natural sciences tripos, but it's so competitive. I'm just going to work crazily hard and see how it goes.

If anyone has any reccomendations for books, especially to do with physics, that are just interesting, then that would be great!!

Glad we’re on the same page! A lovely human being gave me a couple of links for maths and physics revision, if you need it. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dexterminate
Glad we’re on the same page! A lovely human being gave me a couple of links for maths and physics revision, if you need it. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll have a look:smile:) Thank you!
DAY 10:

I did some revision on the photoelectric effect so I could understand it 100%. I also revised the heart for biology which is definitely my favourite topic. I am really interested in quantum physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DAY 14:

I officially memorised all the SI units and factors and also how to remove the prefix from the unit. I am now learning about vectors in physics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish you the best of luck for year 12, and then year 13. I wish I had this motivation. My exams went well, but could've gone better. A-levels are tough.

You, studying before you've even started AS, motivates me to start for A2.

If you need any Chemistry, Physics, Maths (to A2 level) help, let me know. I'm hoping for A*AB this year, but I'm not sure. I'd be happy with AAA. Either way, I'm sure I could help you, or advise you if needed on those subjects. I did OCR A for physics too. And I did Edexcel maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Turtlebunny
I wish you the best of luck for year 12, and then year 13. I wish I had this motivation. My exams went well, but could've gone better. A-levels are tough.

You, studying before you've even started AS, motivates me to start for A2.

If you need any Chemistry, Physics, Maths (to A2 level) help, let me know. I'm hoping for A*AB this year, but I'm not sure. I'd be happy with AAA. Either way, I'm sure I could help you, or advise you if needed on those subjects. I did OCR A for physics too. And I did Edexcel maths.

Thanks! :smile: I’m sure you’ll achieve what you want, wish you the best of luck, you can do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DAY 15:

I did a bit of a Chemistry paper now as I am feeling a bit bored ahaha, I was too lazy to get a pen and paper so I did it on my phone. Would anyone check if the questions I attempted were right? And could you possible help with answering the second question?ImageUploadedByStudent Room1467606507.974292.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
DAY 27:

So, I now completely understand the photoelectric effect! I’ve been using Gojimo (revision app) to test myself on the topic and I got 100% out of 10 questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
DAY 56:

I have officially self-taught myself calculus. Bit rough on some topics but I have the general idea.

I have been doing some past papers for Physics. I have decided not to do biology, and instead do some humanity.

I have learnt mechanics and some of electrons, photons and waves. Proud of myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest