The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Sussex is quite a good uni. I think it depends mostly on the department because employers will know which departments are good from which university. If you want a top course from a top university and if sussex really is an average university in terms of league tables (i forgot which uni was ranked where as i checked it a long time ago) and also if league tables matter to you then you might try aiming for some other top university. But from my knowledge, I can say that Sussex is a good university not average really and if the department is good then that is a plus point. Also go to open days and see if its a place or any place as a matter of fact will be somewhere you will enjoy living in for the next 3/4 years. League tables can only give you like a handful of information....to get the entire context you really have to research a bit further as in how you would "personally" feel about the place, the department,the works actually:smile:.

:tee:
Depends how much reputation matters to you really. Sussex isn't a top uni, but it's certainly not a rubbish one either, so if you really like the course and the place, there's no reason not to apply. According to the Times 2007, it's 27th, which is pretty damn good considering there are about 110 unis in the UK.
Reply 3
Sussex is amazing for Chemistry i'm sure you know that if youve looked they also give tons of money to chem students as its such an undersubscribed course nationally. Sussex is a fantastic 60's uni, its very attractive to Southerners and becuase its t'other side of london gets little northern attention compared to other unis hence its average rep. it had a few bad years in terms of disagreements between the executive and the students and couple cases of "corruption" occuring, but its still a fantastic uni and so close to brighton and the beach!
Reply 4
If its a amazing course and the Uni is not as good overall i dont think it should matter, as if the department is known to be really good then employers will take that into consideration and stuff. So i would say if you enjoy the Uni and the course is to your liking then take it, if you want a middle ground one you could have it as your insurance or something.
Reply 5
kellywood_5
According to the Times 2007, it's 27th, which is pretty damn good considering there are about 110 unis in the UK.

According to the same guide, Sussex is 6th for Chemistry.

You'll probably be fine when it comes to finding jobs with a Chemistry degree, what with less and less people studying the Natural Sciences.
i suppose you should bear in mind that sussex came very close to closing its chem department recently. And was only just spared the axe.
Reply 7
Horrorshow
i suppose you should bear in mind that sussex came very close to closing its chem department recently. And was only just spared the axe.

That's happened/may happen at quite a few universities. It must be disheartening for those studying/planning on studying the subject.
sussex has a great chemistry course and they're a good uni :smile:
they arent up there with imperial but its still good :smile:
its worth considering
Reply 9
I really wanted to go to sussex because there chemistry dept was fantastic but ultimately chose not to apply. I remember while going through the whole application thing I learnt that there department was going to be cut in half and with people like harry kroto leaving seemed reminiscent of KCL- another chemistry deparment gone.

Not sure if thats the case now but it may be of use to you to read up on it.

Latest

Trending

Trending