The Student Room Group

RVC & Resits - graduate applicant

I will be a graduate applicant applying to RVC, but my school-leaving grades are very low, all C's. I asked RVC what the minmum school-leaving grades were for those with a degree and the answer I got back was, "all A's, but lower grades may be accepted if you do well in certain areas of your degree."
This is very confusing. I knew it was going to be a tough struggle to get in but with my grades, I've no hope :frown: As well as working hard on my degree, do you think I would stand a better chance if I resat some Highers at evening class? Do RVC accept resit grades?

I need all the help I can get on this one, its really getting me down. I've done loads of work experience and have lots more planned for the summer, its just the grades really.
Reply 1
Hey,

I know it's hard, but try not to let it get you down. About this time last year I was in exactly the same position as you (actually, my A-levels were worse), and I know it can be thoroughly depressing. As far as I know, most vet schools (unfortunately) aren't that keen on resits. However, I think you should give all the universities you are interested in applying to a ring about it, and speak to the admissions within the vet school, who may be able to offer you more advice. If the vet schools do accept resits, it's worthwhile having a bash - anything to help your UCAS form. If you're doing your finals for your degree now, then don't let them suffer as a result of you trying to get some A-levels. Remember that your degree shows you are academically capable, and it is more important that you do well in that. Any work experience is really useful - it shows your commitment to the course, try to make it as varied as you can.

It is worth remembering (although I imagine you probably already know) that the RVC and Nottingham don't charge full fees for graduate entry students, so entry to these 2 is going to be a bit tougher than for the others. Don't just apply for the RVC, make sure you use up all the 4 spaces on your UCAS form. Although the full-fee courses are a big financial commitment, it is do-able, and I've been in contact with people who have raised the money for their fees through sponsorship. You may find the incentive to raise the money when you have an offer from one of the full-fee universities in your hand!

I got into Liverpool (starting this Sept) on the back of some less-than-impressive A-levels, a 2:1 in Zoology from Leeds Uni, and a fair whack of work experience. And they've offered me the 4 year compressed graduate course. So, even if it feels like you're trying for the impossible, I'm proof that you're not!

I hope this (massive!) message has helped you out a bit, if not with advice then to at least make you feel a bit better about things. I've had those hellish phone conversations/emails about admissions, and (dare I admit it publicly) shed a few tears over the whole thing. I know it's tough, but try not to lose heart, you're sound like you're making the right steps towards a successful application. :smile:
Reply 2
Thankyou so much for the advice, it has really helped to keep me motivated. I've had so many disappointments in the past, but the work experience has kept me going and I have five days with the vet surgery next week. I will probably resit Maths & English at nightclass this year, this will give me something other than my degree to focus on and if I do well it can only improve my chances. Thanks for the help, much appreciated :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending