The Student Room Group

Large number of Turks in Germany put Islam above the law

http://www.dw.com/en/study-large-number-of-turks-in-germany-put-islam-above-the-law/a-19336757

Germany may be home, but many don't feel accepted: A new study reveals what ethnic Turks think about religion and integration, with many putting Islam above the law and some even justifying violence to expand Islam.

The authors of the study were pleased with some of their results: 90 percent of the people of Turkish origin surveyed said they feel comfortable in Germany. Eighty-seven percent said that they feel closely or very closely connected to Germany. That's 2 percent more than the number who said they felt a close connection to Turkey.

The representative survey, titled " Integration and religion from the perspective of people of Turkish origin," includes more surprises. In some respects, most of the people surveyed had a more positive view of the situation in Germany than many Germans themselves.

But that's not to say that Turkish immigrants don't have any complaints. Some 54 percent of respondents agreed with the statement: "No matter how hard I try, I am not accepted as a part of German society."

A perceived lack of acceptance has consequences: "It's our view that this feeling of not being accepted is expressed in the vehement defense of Islam," Pollack said.
Half of all the respondents said that Islam is the only true religion.Almost half of those surveyed agreed with the following statement: "It is more important to obey religious laws than state laws."Some 36 percent said that only Islam is in a position to resolve the current problems facing society, and 7 percent said violence is justified if the aim is the expansion of Islam.

I tried to highlight some relevant statistics since it's a pretty long post; even longer article.
While it's brilliant that turkish immigrants are integrating so well, it is rather nerve racking that 36% of those surveyed said only Islam is in a position to remove the current problems facing society.
When the respondents say these highlighted things:

Original post by 34908seikj
"It is more important to obey religious laws than state laws."Some 36 percent said that only Islam is in a position to resolve the current problems facing society, and 7 percent said violence is justified if the aim is the expansion of Islam.

then they should not be surprised to find this:

Original post by 34908seikj
Some 54 percent of respondents agreed with the statement: "No matter how hard I try, I am not accepted as a part of German society.

It really is quite simple.
Original post by Good bloke
When the respondents say these highlighted things:

then they should not be surprised to find this:

It really is quite simple.

Maybe the turks should try?

Maybe by staring to being western? e.g clothes and food?

smh
As a follower of a religion, you're only going to naturally believe that your religion is the best solution to problems.

The only figure to worry about is the 7% who say violence is justified to expand Islam. Luckily it's a very small percentage. (Although we'd prefer it to be 0%).

However it's good to see so many feel closely connected to Germany.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by govandpolitics
Maybe the turks should try?

Maybe? Of course they should try. Hard. If they don't they should be removed.
Original post by Lord Samosa
As a follower of a religion, you're only going to naturally believe that your religion is the best solution to problems.

The only figure to worry about is the 7% who say violence is justified to expand Islam. Luckily it's a very small percentage. (Although we'd prefer it to be 0%).

However it's good to see so many feel closely connected to Germany.

Trite platitudes all. No superstition has any solution for anything outside the believer's head. The other figure to worry about is the 54% who realise they aren't accepted in a twenty-first century society and don't connect the non-acceptance to their mediaeval superstitious beliefs (or do but continue in them regardless).
Reply 6
The turks in my opinion are not very compatible with European culture
Original post by M14B
The turks in my opinion are not very compatible with European culture

It goes without saying to those that think, Turks have been fighting Europeans for hundreds of years, not surprise that the cultures are not compatible.
Reply 8
For me that is good enough justification for a blanket ban. You can even listen to way the popular muslim youtubers talk, they might sound young, cool and edgy with their swag caps but they do believe violence is a justified action in response to verbal criticism.
Original post by Jebedee
For me that is good enough justification for a blanket ban. You can even listen to way the popular muslim youtubers talk, they might sound young, cool and edgy with their swag caps but they do believe violence is a justified action in response to verbal criticism.

A blanket ban on being a Muslim? That is like a blanket ban on liking eggs, you cannot ban a belief.

Spoiler

Original post by Retired_Messiah
A blanket ban on being a Muslim? That is like a blanket ban on liking eggs, you cannot ban a belief.

Spoiler

What do you think? :rolleyes:
Original post by The_Opinion
It goes without saying to those that think, Turks have been fighting Europeans for hundreds of years, not surprise that the cultures are not compatible.

Culture and religion go hand in hand in Turkey.

I was watching a documentary about sex attitudes in Turkey (it was on BBC iplayer) and over the years, the Turkish authorities have clamped down on official licensed brothels because of religious reasons and there was a transvestite prostitute saying she had broken glass bottles thrown at her because her being a trans was a sin in Islam. Was so sad because she seemed so nice and genuine.

Huge contrast to countries like the Netherlands and Germany where prostitution is legalised and transvestites are accepted.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Culture and religion go hand in hand in Turkey.

I was watching a documentary about sex attitudes in Turkey (it was on BBC iplayer) and over the years, the Turkish authorities have clamped down on official licensed brothels because of religious reasons and there was a transvestite prostitute saying she had broken glass bottles thrown at her because her being a trans was a sin in Islam. Was so sad because she seemed so nice and genuine.

Huge contrast to countries like the Netherlands and Germany where prostitution is legalised and transvestites are accepted.

Only through an unnecessary hatred of Russia is Turkey even in NATO, I don't believe that we should be in any form of alliance of group with Turkey, the differences are too great, unfortunately our leaders don't understand history and are probably the worst MP's we have ever hard, and don't realise the things that as you point out, are going on in Turkey,
Original post by The_Opinion
Only through an unnecessary hatred of Russia is Turkey even in NATO, I don't believe that we should be in any form of alliance of group with Turkey, the differences are too great, unfortunately our leaders don't understand history and are probably the worst MP's we have ever hard, and don't realise the things that as you point out, are going on in Turkey,

Turkey is a dangerous country in a lot of ways. When I heard they had licensed brothels I thought they were more chilled. They clearly aren't and are nothing like the Germans or Dutch or British. Too bad the PM is worried more over political gain than long term implications if Turkey start getting involved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending