The Student Room Group

Getting irritated with my best friend

So I am in my first year of college and since being in college I only talk to 1 of my friends from high school, the only one who came to the same college as me, I talk to another one of my friends from high school but not that frequently as she goes to a different college. I feel like since we have come to college she is my only friend and I am dependent on her all the time and I really don't like it. I also feel like she has changed A LOT since starting college and that she is getting bored of me. She has made a few new friends and this one friend she has made seems to be her favourite, whenever she hangs around with her I feel she forgets about me and focuses on her, the other day she came up to us and got so excited and hugged her when she came over: Not only has she made new friends, she has also just got a new boyfriend. We were supposed to go out the other day and she cancelled in the morning and later that day met up with her boyfriend, I was really hurt as I felt she was putting me aside and made an excuse just to go out with him. I haven't really made any new friends that I feel close to, although I do talk to people in my lessons, I don't feel I am on the level of close friendship with anyone new that I have met. I would love to get even closer to some of the people I have met but it's just so hard and I don't know how to. I am making this post to see if there is any one else who is in my position, I hate feeling like I am the only one losing a friend. Most of all, I hate how I went from having a lot of close friends that I used to go out with to having only 1 close one as we have all seemed to drifted since starting college and not seeing eachother everyday. If there is anyone else who feels the way I do please let me know and if anyone has any tips they would be appreciated!:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
So I am in my first year of college and since being in college I only talk to 1 of my friends from high school, the only one who came to the same college as me, I talk to another one of my friends from high school but not that frequently as she goes to a different college. I feel like since we have come to college she is my only friend and I am dependent on her all the time and I really don't like it. I also feel like she has changed A LOT since starting college and that she is getting bored of me. She has made a few new friends and this one friend she has made seems to be her favourite, whenever she hangs around with her I feel she forgets about me and focuses on her, the other day she came up to us and got so excited and hugged her when she came over: Not only has she made new friends, she has also just got a new boyfriend. We were supposed to go out the other day and she cancelled in the morning and later that day met up with her boyfriend, I was really hurt as I felt she was putting me aside and made an excuse just to go out with him. I haven't really made any new friends that I feel close to, although I do talk to people in my lessons, I don't feel I am on the level of close friendship with anyone new that I have met. I would love to get even closer to some of the people I have met but it's just so hard and I don't know how to. I am making this post to see if there is any one else who is in my position, I hate feeling like I am the only one losing a friend. Most of all, I hate how I went from having a lot of close friends that I used to go out with to having only 1 close one as we have all seemed to drifted since starting college and not seeing eachother everyday. If there is anyone else who feels the way I do please let me know and if anyone has any tips they would be appreciated!:smile:

Unfortunately this happens a lot in adult life, people go on different paths and their priorities change, whether that's in their love lives or because of work. The key to making proper friendships is meeting with people outside of college, invite them somewhere or organise something - even if it's just revising over a coffee, or going to see a movie. Joining a club/society even outside of college is good because you'll meet people with the same interests as you.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte49
Unfortunately this happens a lot in adult life, people go on different paths and their priorities change, whether that's in their love lives or because of work. The key to making proper friendships is meeting with people outside of college, invite them somewhere or organise something - even if it's just revising over a coffee, or going to see a movie. Joining a club/society even outside of college is good because you'll meet people with the same interests as you.

Thank you! I am going to try and invite people out outside of college. I probably just need to get used to the transition into adult life, thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending