The Student Room Group

Edinburgh or Glasgow to study law?

I have recently been to both open days to see what studying a law and politics degree would be like at these two places. I am at such a dilemma right now. Glasgow is where I have always wanted to study, due to it being a huge city with so many possibilities and a great reputation. I was very impressed with the uni and everyone seemed so welcoming.
Edinburgh was initially my "definite" second choice. The main reason for this being that it is a lot closer to home and I wanted somewhere further afield to go to get a completely new experience. However, the law department looks incredible, and is being done up which will be ready for halfway through my first year, the buildings are beautiful and it was all so unexpected for some reason (i'm not trying to say I thought it was going to be bad, it's just in my mind I had always thought glasgow was the best one for me).
I am really stuck tbh. I know I still have time and there are other unis to visit, but I would just like to hear other people's points of views of the unis. I also had to get up really early in the morning to get to glasgow so that may have altered my view on it compared to if I actually had enough sleep.
thanks
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by lucy713
I have recently been to both open days to see what studying a law and politics degree would be like at these two places. I am at such a dilemma right now. Glasgow is where I have always wanted to study, due to it being a huge city with so many possibilities and a great reputation. I was very impressed with the uni and everyone seemed so welcoming.
Edinburgh was initially my "definite" second choice. The main reason for this being that it is a lot closer to home and I wanted somewhere further afield to go to get a completely new experience. However, the law department looks incredible, and is being done up which will be ready for halfway through my first year, the buildings are beautiful and it was all so unexpected for some reason (i'm not trying to say I thought it was going to be bad, it's just in my mind I had always thought glasgow was the best one for me).
I am really stuck tbh. I know I still have time and there are other unis to visit, but I would just like to hear other people's points of views of the unis. I also had to get up really early in the morning to get to glasgow so that may have altered my view on it compared to if I actually had enough sleep.
thanks

Edinburgh is the far more prestigious out of the 2. However, it is not a QLD that allows you to practice even in Scots Law according to the course page. So if you wanted to practice in Scotland or even England you then have to go and do the GDL which is more money and time, if you do want to be a lawyer. Just something to consider.
Reply 3
OP: Edinburgh's international reputation is definitely greater than that of Glasgow, but be aware that the initial period that you may be studying will not be at Old College and that it's not all sunshine over here. Glasgow, on the other hand, seems to be a solid choice and, knowing people who have studied there, it is not necessarily a back-up university.

Original post by ORW
However, it is not a QLD that allows you to practice even in Scots Law according to the course page. So if you wanted to practice in Scotland or even England you then have to go and do the GDL which is more money and time, if you do want to be a lawyer. Just something to consider.

You are a moron.
Reply 4
Pretty sure the Edinburgh LLB does entitle you to take the practice diploma for becoming a solicitor or later an advocate in Scotland. They should really make it clearer on the LLB section of the website that their course does not include English law and is not a qualifying law degree for England & Wales. That being said, I have heard that Scots law graduates get some exemptions from the modules required for the GDL in England & Wales.

If you want to practice in Scotland and this isn't an issue then I suggest you visit them both again. Both are solidly in top 10 in the league tables for law and have been for years and both in the top 100 worldwide. I know Glasgow because I've spoken to some of their professors before and have two friends who went there. Both loved it.

Pick where you're most comfortable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending