The Student Room Group

I'm deaf AMA

Scroll to see replies

How deaf, as in you cant hear anything, or you can hear a bit?
How long did it take you to learn how to communicate, and when did you realise that other people could hear and you couldn't.
:console:
is it difficult for you to manage? :redface:
What did you have for breakfast? :holmes:

Spoiler

Reply 4
Who's your favourite singer?
Reply 5
Original post by jamesj477
How deaf, as in you cant hear anything, or you can hear a bit?
How long did it take you to learn how to communicate, and when did you realise that other people could hear and you couldn't.

As in I was born completely deaf but received a cochlear implant aged 4 so I can hear somewhat, I suppose but not as much as a normal person.

Because I could only start "hearing" at the age of 4, it wasn't until I was about 7 before I'd caught up to my peers in terms of communications.

Good question. I don't think I ever really realised it tbh, it was just something I sort of discovered when I was very young.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm deaf too, how old were you when you were diagnosed? Feel free to ask me anything as well :smile:
Reply 7
THIS ISN'T LEGIT (!)

How can you read what I'm writing, hurr durr

But seriously, how does it feel to have one of your 5 main senses stripped off you?

Also, do you think your vision is "boosted" so to speak?
Reply 8
How complex is sign language and how hard is it to learn? I'm thinking about learning it in my gap year
Reply 9
Original post by fatima1998
:console:
is it difficult for you to manage? :redface:

Sometimes, it really depends on the situation.

I.e if I'm in a social space in college with my friends then I find it quite hard because I cannot possibly hear anyone and if I can't see them then I have to continuously ask them to repeat and in other situations where I'm helpless and can't really do anything to improve.

But I have developed my own ways of improving the situation I suppose you could say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Axel Johann
What did you have for breakfast? :holmes:

Spoiler

LOL - I had boring Weetabix :tongue:

And you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tootles
Who's your favourite singer?

I don't have one, I don't listen to music - partly for religious reasons but mainly because I couldn't enjoy it like I heard most people do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katierthompson
I'm deaf too, how old were you when you were diagnosed? Feel free to ask me anything as well :smile:

:five: do you have hearing aids/cochlear implant?

I was 4, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
LOL - I had boring Weetabix :tongue:

And you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmm, you should add some fruit, it makes it slightly better! I usually eat weetabix myself, but since it's Ramadan I decided to treat myself since I won't be eating throughout the day.

I upgraded to Coco Pops :u:
I have hearing aids, I was diagnosed at 3 so nearly the same age as you, did you go to a deaf school or a school with a support unit?
Original post by Results
THIS ISN'T LEGIT (!)

How can you read what I'm writing, hurr durr

But seriously, how does it feel to have one of your 5 main senses stripped off you?

Also, do you think your vision is "boosted" so to speak?

LOL - hmm, it feels normal because I was born this way and I have never known what it is like to have normal hearing so I don't have anything to compare it to - but I definitely wish I could hear, it just makes life so much harder without that 5th sense.

Well, I don't have better vision as I do wear glasses :tongue: But if you mean in terms of how I use my vision, yeah, definitely, I mainly lipread and rely on people's facial expressions/gestures as opposed to just listening - that has its downsides tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nayzar
How complex is sign language and how hard is it to learn? I'm thinking about learning it in my gap year

I'm not sure, I don't really know sign language as I don't use it but I do volunteer at a deaf primary school where they sign and it's quite hard as all the hand gestures feel the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Axel Johann
Mmm, you should add some fruit, it makes it slightly better! I usually eat weetabix myself, but since it's Ramadan I decided to treat myself since I won't be eating throughout the day.

I upgraded to Coco Pops :u:

The cereal becomes too heavy if I do that and I just end up feeling really full - Oh you're a muslim too?!

Hahah, brilliant for 2am when you're barely awake - I still have Weetabix for sehri :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katierthompson
I have hearing aids, I was diagnosed at 3 so nearly the same age as you, did you go to a deaf school or a school with a support unit?

Ahh, so are you profoundly deaf or partially?

I went to a school with a special unit, although I did have to travel for it - you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
I don't have one, I don't listen to music - partly for religious reasons but mainly because I couldn't enjoy it like I heard most people do

How do you maintain faith, when you've been dealt a crappy hand like that?
Not trying to debate or anything here, just curious

Quick Reply

Latest