The Student Room Group

chances of a training contract

hey guys, new to student room
anywhoo I'm currently studying law first year on my way to a 1st doing good so far, planning to do some experience in a law firm abroad and a here too
however my A level grades are not that good to say the least but i know this is important for most law firms
so wanted to know my realistic chance of getting a training contract
Reply 1
Original post by why u do this
hey guys, new to student room
anywhoo I'm currently studying law first year on my way to a 1st doing good so far, planning to do some experience in a law firm abroad and a here too
however my A level grades are not that good to say the least but i know this is important for most law firms
so wanted to know my realistic chance of getting a training contract

A level grades are important to the firms but not quite the whole story. They are, however, usually the 1st method of filtering down the thousands of applicants. Most are AAB or ABB filters. Some firms apply this strictly, others are more liberal. Its mainly the magic circle firms and major city firms that use these filters. Its when you look at small firms and national firms that they are more liberal and do not really have a set requirement. Irwin Mitchell, a personal injury law firm sets no requirements. They also did not hire a single Oxbridge or Russell Group grad in one of their recent training contract intakes, which is good news if your A level grades are not great as you say. I would say keep going for the 1st, do a lot of extra curricular and maybe even contact grad recruitment of some of the firms you are interested in about their A level policy. However, you do not want to appear desperate at the same time. Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ORW

Irwin Mitchell, a personal injury law firm sets no requirements. They also did not hire a single Oxbridge or Russell Group grad in one of their recent training contract intakes,

Wheres this info come from? Got a link?
Reply 3
999tigger - my mistake it is actually 41% of their recent intake did not go to Oxbridge or an RG

http://www.legalcheek.com/2014/07/oxbridge-and-russell-group-graduates-dominate-latest-trainee-intake-of-top-law-firms/
Original post by ORW
A level grades are important to the firms but not quite the whole story. They are, however, usually the 1st method of filtering down the thousands of applicants. Most are AAB or ABB filters. Some firms apply this strictly, others are more liberal. Its mainly the magic circle firms and major city firms that use these filters. Its when you look at small firms and national firms that they are more liberal and do not really have a set requirement. Irwin Mitchell, a personal injury law firm sets no requirements. They also did not hire a single Oxbridge or Russell Group grad in one of their recent training contract intakes, which is good news if your A level grades are not great as you say. I would say keep going for the 1st, do a lot of extra curricular and maybe even contact grad recruitment of some of the firms you are interested in about their A level policy. However, you do not want to appear desperate at the same time. Good luck

Thank you thats really helpful and yea planning to do a lot of extra curricular

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending