The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by plrodham1
Half of my interview was about rugby and what skills i developed from being part of a team, this was something that was brought up from my personal statement.

Whilst you don't need to write at length about them i'd definitely mention them and, more importantly, why they will make you a better medic.

Exactly. They will only ask what you bring up. If OP wants to do epq then they should go for it. But they must be prepared to talk about it, potentially in detail if they mention it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natashab99x
Is it not important to mention in my Personal statement that I take part in extra curricular activities, for instance I'm on the netball team therefor this involves me working in a team and cooperating with others. Because I sing and play guitar I am able to perform which builds my confidence which would prove important as a doctor because you need confidence in order to speak to new people.

Hi Natasha99x

Are you writing your PS at the moment or just starting to think about the things you can include?

As someone else has already mentioned you have surprisingly little space in your Personal Statement and whilst it is important to include extra-curricular activities that show you as an interesting person, I would only use a few lines on this. More important than listing every extra-curricular activity you've been involved with is taking the opportunity to reflect on the skills you've gained from these things. Even better if you can say how these new skills are transferable to your studies in medicine.

From what you've said, it sounds as though you are already thinking in this way which is great!

Do let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

UniAdmissions
Reply 22
If I have done other things such as an online course on the same topic as I was going to do my epq on, will I be at a disadvantage at interview? I thought that it was just to show an interest but if I show interest in another way then will I be less likely to get an offer?
Original post by Natashab99x
Is it not important to mention in my Personal statement that I take part in extra curricular activities, for instance I'm on the netball team therefor this involves me working in a team and cooperating with others. Because I sing and play guitar I am able to perform which builds my confidence which would prove important as a doctor because you need confidence in order to speak to new people.

I know Edinburgh and Oxford like to see things like this for personal qualities but neither want a tonne loads of stuff. Like two or three things are fine but focus more on the medical side of things.

I mean it's all fine to say you're a prefect but loads of people say this. It's better to talk about how it's shaped you as a person and more importantly as a potential doctor. (Eg. The challenges and the various ways you've learnt to approach people)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chrisdale98
If I have done other things such as an online course on the same topic as I was going to do my epq on, will I be at a disadvantage at interview? I thought that it was just to show an interest but if I show interest in another way then will I be less likely to get an offer?

Why would you be at a disadvantage? If anything it shows you've studied an area in a lot of depth and shows interest.
Reply 25
Original post by studentsixth
Why would you be at a disadvantage? If anything it shows you've studied an area in a lot of depth and shows interest.

Thanks, im just worried about sacking epq off for something else. Im so afraid of being asked why i didnt do the epq or dofe gold or something else like that haha

Latest

Trending

Trending